Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG) Department of Public Works is operating two sandbag stations for Lafayette Parish residents.
Residents wishing to sandbag their property may access sandbags at one of two locations:
· LCG Compost Facility, located at 400 Dugas Rd., off North University Ave. (permanent, regular sandbag site)
· South District sandbag site, located at 1017 Fortune Rd. in Youngsville (permanent, regular sandbag site)
The sites are “self-bagging,” meaning the bags and sand are provided to Lafayette Parish residents free, at no charge, but residents will need to supply their own manpower and shovel. Residents are asked to limit their sandbags to four bags per exterior door, with a maximum of 20 sandbags per household.
LCG offers the following tips to keep residents and property safe in the event of a flooding situation or extended heavy rain activity:
· Citizens can protect their property by ensuring ditches and street drains are clear from debris including leaves, limbs, trashcans and children’s toys, especially balls.
· During a flash flood or extended localized rain activity, it should be expected that storm drains and drainage channels will reach capacity, temporarily flooding roads and adjacent property.
· In the event of localized street flooding, motorists should stay off roadways until all water recedes.
· It is never safe to drive or walk into flood waters, even in a parking lot. All are cautioned to heed signs or barricades which indicate flooding ahead. If pedestrians or drivers find themselves upon a flooded area, they should turn around and take an alternate route.
· Anyone experiencing flooding in a home and in need of emergency rescue should call 9-1-1. ANYONE in ANY emergency situation should call 9-1-1.
· Flash floods can happen with little or no warning and occur when excessive rains fall in a short amount of time. During a flash flood warning, citizens should be alert and take necessary precautions.