LCG is reminding Lafayette residents that Republic Services will not collect residential garbage or recycling in Lafayette Parish on New Year’s Day.
Due to the New Year’s holiday, Tuesday through Friday routes will be delayed by one day through Jan. 5. Tuesday customers will receive collection on Wednesday; Wednesday customers will receive collection on Thursday; Thursday customers will receive collection on Friday; and Friday customers will receive collection on Saturday. Regularly scheduled collection will resume on Monday, Jan. 7.
Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG) reminds residents about excess holiday waste collection procedures:
- Republic Services will collect excess garbage, which is outside of the 96-gallon garbage cart, on the same day as garbage collection.
- The excess collection is for garbage generated from holiday celebrations and all excess garbage must be bagged, with individual bags not to exceed 35 pounds.
- Cardboard boxes can be placed alongside the cart if they do not fit in the cart.
- Bagged garbage should be placed three feet away from the automated garbage cart.
- Excess, bagged waste should NOT be placed on the lids of carts.
Residents are encouraged to recycle excess holiday waste when possible. Lafayette’s recycling program accepts items such as paper, cardboard, steel cans, aluminum cans and plastic containers marked #1 and #2. Plastic bags of any kind, garbage, yard waste or Styrofoam should not be placed in recycling collection carts.
Waste containers, excess garbage and yard waste, including real Christmas trees free of decorations and stands, should be placed at the curb the evening before the collection day. Yard waste and Christmas trees will be brought to Lafayette Consolidated Government’s Dean Domingues Compost Facility.
For more information on proper garbage cart and excess waste placement visit http://www.lafayettela.gov/PublicWorks/EQ/Pages/Automated-Waste-Collection.aspx.