State Officials: Accused instructor must stay away from Pearl Driving School

Posted at 12:10 PM, Aug 01, 2018

A driving instructor arrested and accused of a child sex charge must stay away from the driving school where he works. 

DMV Commissioner Karen St. Germain tells KATC TV3 that the department, which oversees the licenses of Louisiana driving schools, issued a cease and desist order to Roy Thompson Tuesday. 

The order says that he can’t have anything to do with the school, including driving or instructing students, St. Germain explained. She said his wife owns the school, and it is still operational. 

Any parent who feels still feels uncomfortable using the school is entitled to a refund, she said. If any parent has further concerns or any issues with getting the refund, they can call St. Germain’s office at (225) 922-1664 for assistance, she said. 

We spoke with several parents who asked for refunds and received them immediately. 

St. Germain said her office is following the investigation and if any further action is taken, will notify the public. 

Thompson, 60, of Eunice, was arrested July 27 by Broussard Police on a warrant from Crowley Police for indecent behavior with a juvenile. Thompson’s arrest was the result of a continued investigation stemming from an incident that happened in Crowley, according to Crowley Police Chief Jimmy Broussard.   

A few days earlier, Broussard Police, along with Homeland Security and the Attorney General’s Office, raided Pearl Driving School and the home of the suspect, Chief Brannon Decou said. Police pulled out the owner and instructor while he was in the middle of the day’s lesson, said driver’s ed student Devan Benoit. Investigators seized files, digital storage devices and computer devices from the business, according to police.

Investigators received the arrest warrant and went to Pearl Driving School located at 4016 US 90  where the suspect was located and taken into police custody, according to Chief Decou. Thompson was arrested on the warrant and booked into the Lafayette Parish Jail.  He then was transferred to the Acadia Parish Jail.  He has since posted bond and been released.