News

Actions

Home destroyed in Lafayette fire caused by overloaded extension cord

Posted: 3:21 PM, Jul 20, 2018
Updated: 2018-07-20 16:21:19-04

Firefighters responded to the 300 block of Pecan Grove Friday afternoon in reference to a mobile home fire. 

Scott firefighters say they found heavy fire in the bedroom area upon arrival at the home. That fire was extinguished shortly after.

An investigation of the incident revealed that the fire was accidental in nature, started by an overloaded extension cord in the bedroom.

The Scott Fire Department warns that with the extreme heat, if you are using window air conditioner units, please do not overload the circuit by plugging additional electrical items into the same circuit.

The homeowner was able to safely escape, but the home sustained major fire damage throughout.

Multiple first responders were dispatched to the location and deputies temporarily closed the road.