There are thousands of jobs available in south Louisiana in truck driving, healthcare, and construction, but the area is faced with a lack of people with the necessary training to fill those positions, SLCC says.
SLCC’s Corporate College offers continuing education programs to give Acadiana’s underemployed and unemployed short-term training to meet the demands of employers.
Vincent Pierre, Student Outreach Developer for SLCC’s Corporate College, will host information sessions at various SLCC campuses in July to offer information about the training opportunities available through SLCC’s Continuing Education program.
Here’s the schedule:
- St. Martinville Campus at 6305 Main Highway on Monday, July 9 2 pm- 4 pm
- Crowley Campus at 1933 W. Hutchinson Ave. on Wednesday, July 11, 10 am -Noon
- Abbeville Campus at 1115 Clover St. on Thursday, July 12, 10 am- Noon
- New Iberia Campus at 908 Ember Dr. on Monday, July 16, 10 am – Noon
- Ville Platte Campus at 1124 Vocational Dr. on Thursday, July 19, 10 am – Noon
- Opelousas Campus at 332 E. South St. on Thursday, July 26, 10 am – Noon
At each event, Pierre will discuss each training program, the careers paths available with that training, and whom to contact about tuition assistance.
South Louisiana Community College created the Corporate College in 2015 to meet the demands of local business who were unable to find skilled tradesmen to fill immediate job openings. Training programs are offered in HVAC repair, Commercial Truck Driving, Scaffold Building, Medical Billing and Coding, Notary, Welding, CNA and Pharmacy Tech. Forthcoming programs include carpentry, automotive repair, and certified lineman.
For questions about the Training Information Sessions, call 337-521-9028 or email email@example.com.