Inmate escapes from Cameron jail; captured within minutes

Posted at 12:14 PM, Jun 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-06-11 13:14:10-04

A man convicted of sex crimes escaped from the Cameron Parish Jail this morning, but he was captured within minutes. 

Elvin Bryant Jinks is awaiting sentencing on an aggravated crimes against nature conviction, Sheriff Ron Johnson said. 

This morning, Jinks was spotted by the jailer climbing around a gate on a second story cat walk. The gate has panels that extend past the sidewalk with razor wire. Jinks allegedly threw laundry bags around the razor wire to try to protect himself from being cut. Jinks allegedly then ran to the west corner of the facility and jumped from the second story sidewalk onto the concrete, the sheriff said. 

Cameron Parish Sheriff’s deputies responded, and were able to catch Jinks within four minutes.  He was found in the marsh less than 100 yards west of the facility. Deputy Carl Conner saw the subject run into the marsh and engaged in foot pursuit after him. Once in the marsh Jinks was spotted and ordered to stop by Conner and Jinks did so. Deputy David Hebert then arrived and assisted in securing the escapee. Deputy Blake Hebert then arrived and also assisted in getting the escapee out of the marsh, the sheriff said.

Seven other officers were also on the scene. The sheriff said his deputies in Dispatch and Corrections all reacted in a professional manner in communications aiding in the rapid apprehension.

Jinks sustained minor injuries from being cut on the wrist by the razor wire and a leg injury from the jump, the sheriff said. Cameron Parish EMS was called and transported Jinks to South Cameron Memorial Hospital.

Upon his return to the jail, Jinks will be booked with simple escape.

Jinks faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison without benefit of parole, probation or suspension of sentence, with a possible maximum of 99 years in prison for his original conviction.

If he’s convicted of simple escape, he faces a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of five years in prison – and that sentence must be served after he serves the original sentence.