The world’s biggest oilseed processor just confirmed one of the soybean market’s biggest fears: China has essentially stopped buying U.S. supplies amid the brewing trade war.
"Whatever they’re buying is non-U.S.," Bunge Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Soren Schroder said in a telephone interview Wednesday. "They’re buying beans in Canada, in Brazil, mostly Brazil, but very deliberately not buying anything from the U.S."
Bloomberg is reporting, in a move that caught many in U.S. agriculture by surprise, China last month announced planned tariffs on American shipments of soybeans. As the market waited for the measure to take effect, there was some hope among traders and shippers alike that relations between the nations could ease in the meantime and the trade flow would continue. But that doesn’t seem to be the case, at least for now, according to Bunge.
It’s "very clear" that the trade tensions have already stopped China from buying U.S. supplies, Schroder said. "How long that will last, who knows? But so long as there is this big cloud of uncertainty, that’s likely to continue."
Click HERE to read the full story.