News

Actions

Fire Marshal: Turkey Creek house fire possibly caused by space heater

Posted: 5:25 PM, May 01, 2018
Updated: 2018-05-01 18:25:37-04

A Turkey Creek family’s home was severely damaged after it caught fire Monday morning, possibly caused by a space heater. 

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says the fire occurred Monday morning April 30, 2018, on Hanks Lane in Turkey Creek. 

Investigators say the Hanks Lane residents called the Evangeline Parish Ward 5 Fire District for help when they woke up to discover the recliner in their living room on fire. All family members were able to escape unharmed.

At this time, investigators say they are ruling the cause as undetermined. They report that they have not ruled out an electrical malfunction, saying the closeness of a space heater to the recliner may have contributed to the fire.