Vermilion Parish Deputies are working several vehicle burglaries in the northeastern portion of the parish.
On Wednesday, April 24, 2018, deputies report three separate incidences of vehicle burglaries in different locations in the parish during the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 2:30 a.m.
In the first incident, Sheriff Mike Couvillon says that two unlocked vehicles were burglarized on Racca Road. A 9mm Ruger handgun was taken from from one of the vehicles.
Three unlocked vehicles were also rummaged through at a residence located off of La. Hwy. 339 with $10.00 in cash and a socket set was taken from one of the vehicles.
Another unlocked vehicle was rummaged through with one purse containing $172.00 a license and prescription medication were taken. The purse was later found near Delcambre with the along with the items taken.
Couvillon says that deputies are reviewing video surveillance and working with surrounding agencies in an attempt to identify the person or persons responsible. The suspect is believed to be a black male with a light colored hoodie and pants. The man was also wearing light-colored latex gloves which were dropped off by another person driving a small car. The make and model of that vehicle are still unknown.
Sheriff Couvillon is asking residents to take these actions now and make it a practice going forward:
- Lock all vehicles when not in use, at all times.
- Remove all valuables from vehicles and secure inside homes.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view
- Consider installing high quality recorded video surveillance (could be very valuable when something happens).
- Call the Sheriff’s office on any suspicious vehicles or person in the neighborhood ALWAYS.
- Watch each other’s homes and property closely, reporting anything suspicious.