St. Landry Parish Crime Stoppers, law enforcement agencies, and fire departments urge residents to follow these tips to help keep you safe:
- In case there is a fire inside your home, do not place your tree or a holiday display blocking your families escape.
- Use a strong tree stand; secure it so small children and pets cannot pull it down on top of them.
- Place your Christmas tree in water to keep it green and check for any damaged or frayed wires that could short out and cause a fire.
- Use only the proper gauge extension cords when plugging in space heaters and avoid covering the cord underneath a rug.
- Be careful of what can be seen through your windows, holiday gifts should not be visible to anyone passing in front of your home.
- Break apart large Christmas gift boxes such as flat screen TVs and electronics before you bring them to the road. A criminal can easily pass by your street and see any new items inside your home.
- When leaving your home during the holidays or on vacation, have a trusted neighbor or family member watch your home and always wait to post your photos on social media until you get home.
Remember to download the P3 app and tap the app on your mobile device to say it here and submit an anonymous tip.