St. Landry Crime Stoppers and law enforcement throughout Acadiana wants this season to be a safe and joyous one.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Use your cell phone wisely when exiting and entering your vehicle.
- Try and not bring your kids shopping, you could be distracted which gives a thief the opportunity to strike.
- Avoid driving alone or at night. If you must shop at night, park in a lighted area.
- When you arrive at the store, park as close as you can and remember where you parked.
- Lock your doors, roll up your windows, and secure your vehicle. If your car has an alarm…set it.
- Do not leave packages, purses, makeup bags, or valuables on the seat of your vehicle. Place all your items inside your trunk or out of sight.
- If you bring a purse with you, never leave it in the shopping cart or on top of your vehicle. The moment you look the other way or get distracted, it is stolen.
- When you are leaving the store, put your keys in your hand. Get ready to use the panic horn feature on your remote or use them as a weapon if attacked.
- Leave the parking lot after you have shopped or completed a transaction at the ATM. Criminals could approach you and you could be caught off guard.
- Let someone know your plans for the day.
- Remember to download the P3 app and tap the app on your mobile devises to 'say it here' and submit your anonymous tips.