CONWAY, S.C. – Coastal Carolina used the home run ball to grab hold of the lead and four different pitchers combined to hold down 5th-ranked Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns’ offense in 7-1 win for the hosts in the 2020 Sun Belt Conference opener for both teams at St. John Stadium.
The momentum shift began for the Chanticleers (13-5, 1-0 Sun Belt) when a two-run home run from Stavi Augur in the third inning provided a 2-1 lead.
The home run ball continued to add insurance, as Coastal Carolina picked up a pair of solo shots in the fourth inning and another one in the fifth inning increasing the lead to 5-1.
The Ragin’ Cajuns (14-6, 0-1 Sun Belt) applied pressure in the sixth and seventh inning, placing multiple runners on base including a bases-loaded situation in the seventh inning. The Chanticleers held both times, ultimately preserving the win.
Louisiana, which gained a 1-0 advantage in the first inning after Alissa Dalton led off with a single, had a pair of two-out base runners in the second inning. However, not being able to take advantage left the door open for the Chanticleers uprising.
Melissa Mayeux was credited with the Ragin’ Cajuns’ lone RBI in the contest, as her ground out in the first inning plated Dalton.
Megan Kleist started in her Sun Belt debut, yielding four runs over 3-1/3 innings. Summer Ellyson tossed the final 2-2/3 innings and was responsible for three runs.
The loss halted Louisiana’s 30-game win streak in Sun Belt play which dated back to April 2018.
- Alissa Dalton stretched her current hitting streak to three games.
- Since returning to the leadoff spot in the lineup (last Sunday at Florida), Alissa Dalton is batting .500 (3-for-6).
- Melissa Mayeux delivered at least one RBI for the third consecutive game. She’s now one of seven different Ragin’ Cajuns who have produced at least eight RBI.
- Louisiana lost for the first time this season when scoring first.
- Coastal Carolina collected its second win in the all-time series with the Ragin’ Cajuns – both wins coming at St. John Stadium in Conway.
The 5th-ranked Ragin’ Cajuns seek to even the Sun Belt Conference Opening Series when they return to St. John Stadium in Conway, S.C., on Saturday for a 1 p.m. (CST) matchup with the Chanticleers.