RAGIN' CAJUNS SOFTBALL: Ragin' Cajuns Split on Final Day at Judi Garman Classic
FULLERTON, Calif. – 17th-ranked Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Softball split a pair of games as the squad wrapped up play in the Judi Garman Classic on Sunday.
A five-run first inning vaulted the Ragin’ Cajuns (12-5) to a 7-2 win over Fresno State (9-10) to start the day. No. 8 Baylor (11-3) slipped by Louisiana 1-0 in a pitcher’s duel between Summer Ellyson and Gia Rodoni in the team’s final game of the tournament.
Sunday’s action brought to a close tournament play for the 2018 season. Louisiana begins Sun Belt Conference play Saturday-Sunday, March 10-11 at Coastal Carolina.
THE BASICS VS. FRESNO STATE
Eight different Ragin’ Cajuns recorded a hit with Aeriyl Mass (2-for-2) recording her second multiple-hit game of the season.
Casey Dixon pitched the first complete game of her collegiate career. The freshman hurler held Fresno State to four hits and struck out five in seven innings of work.
Louisiana quickly loaded the bases in the first inning as with one out Kara Gremillion and Casidy Chaumont singled back-to-back and Beth Ashley drew a walk.
Gremillion beat the throw home on a fielder’s choice grounder and Kourtney Gremillion delivered a sacrifice fly for a 2-0 edge. Three more runs crossed off double from Mass and infield single from Kelli Martinez upping the lead to 5-0.
That was all the run support that Dixon needed as she retired nine of 10 Bulldogs batters after a solo home run trimmed the lead to 7-2 in the fourth inning.
THE BASICS VS. BAYLOR
Louisiana put pressure on Rodoni throughout the contest, totaling eight base hits – the second-most the Bears’ ace allowed this season.
Ellyson faced only two batters over the minimum and yielded only four hits. Her defense was solid behind her, tallying a season-high 16 assists.
The difference in the contest came in the first plate appearance of the second inning. Baylor’s Shelby McGlaun connected for a solo home run over the left field fence in what turned out to be the game’s winning run.
- Summer Ellyson continued her strong work in the circle. With only one earned run allowed, she’s surrendered just two earned runs over the past 32-1/3 innings pitched.
- Seven different Ragin’ Cajuns totaled multiple hits on the day. As a team, Louisiana produced 17 hits over 13 innings at the plate.
- Casey Dixon was impressive in the circle during the Judi Garman Classic. Adding in 3-1/3 scoreless innings pitched in relief vs. Michigan on Friday, Dixon exited the tournament with only two runs and seven hits allowed in 10-1/3 innings in the circle.
- Brittany Rodriguez (6 games), Kara Gremillion (5 games) and Kourtney Gremillion (4 games) extended their season-best hitting streaks during the Judi Garman Classic.
- Louisiana’s pitching staff has now limited foes to less than five runs 14 times in 17 outings. The three runs by No. 23 Michigan were the most the opposition scored all weekend in Fullerton.
- Kara Gremillion’s stolen base in the Fresno State contest was her 10th of the season (in 10 attempts). She reached double digits in stolen bases for the first time in her career.
Louisiana begins a string of nine consecutive Sun Belt Conference weekends to close out the season when they travel to Conway, S.C., to face Coastal Carolina Saturday-Sunday, March 10-11 on SBC Opening Weekend.
The Ragin’ Cajuns and Chanticleers are scheduled to play a three-game series that consists of a 12 p.m. (CST) doubleheader on Saturday and an 11 a.m. (CDT) single game on Sunday at Coastal Carolina Softball Stadium.
For more information on Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball, as well as all of Ragin' Cajuns Athletics, visit RaginCajuns.com. Fans can also follow along with the team on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB) and Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB).