Quantcast

Convicted child molester, accused child pornographer dies after - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette

Convicted child molester, accused child pornographer dies after cardiac arrest in jail

Posted: Updated:
Photo Courtesy: MGN Online Photo Courtesy: MGN Online
Micah Sorbet Micah Sorbet

A man who was a prisoner at the St. Martin Parish Jail has died in a local hospital.

Micah Sorbet, 34, who was being held after being indicted on federal child pornography charges, suffered "cardiac arrest" while in the jail, and was transported to a local hospital, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshal's Office said. He died in the hospital six days days later, the spokesman said.

An autopsy has been performed, and the U.S. Marshal's Office is investigating Sorbet's death, the spokesman said. Right now, investigators are awaiting the results of tests conducted at autopsy. No foul play is suspected at this time, he said. Sorbet was in the St. Martin Parish Jail's custody, but he was a federal prisoner. That's why the U.S. Marshal is doing the investigation, the spokesman said. 

Sorbet was arrested by ICE Agents in December 2017 on child pornography charges, and had been in the St. Martin Parish jail since that time, the spokesman said. Sorbet was transported to the hospital on February 10 and died February 16, he said. 

According to federal court records, Sorbet was indicted in November 2017 on charges of child pornography.  His trial was set for April. 

As we reported in the past, Sorbet was on house arrest for a conviction of indecent behavior with a juvenile when he was arrested by the Attorney General's Office in January 2017 on charges of possession of child pornography, computer-aided solicitation of a minor and indecent behavior with juveniles. Sorbet  was on house arrest because a judge gave him a four-year house arrest sentence for a guilty plea. Sorbet pleaded guilty to indecent behavior with a juvenile in 2013 in a plea deal that dropped other charges pending against him of computer-aided solicitation of a minor, child pornography and drug possession. 

When he died, Sorbet also was facing charges in state court in Lafayette; he was named in a bill of information in March 2017 that accused him of three counts indecent behavior with a juvenile, two counts possession of child pornography and three counts computer-aided solicitation of a minor. A bench warrant was issued for him in August 2017 when he failed to appear for his arraignment on those charges. Those alleged crimes occurred in the summer and fall of 2016.

Funeral arrangements for Sorbet are incomplete this afternoon at Martin and Castille. 

WEATHER
Power Doppler HD
Powered by Frankly

© KATC.com 2018, KATC.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?