LAFAYETTE – The Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns men’s basketball returns to action on Saturday (Feb. 17) when it plays host to Sun Belt Conference rival UT Arlington at the Cajundome.
Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. The game can be heard in the Lafayette area on KHXT 107.9-FM with Ian Auzenne providing the commentary. The game will also be streamed live on ESPN3 with Matt Stewart (pxp), Bob Donewald (color) and Whitney Haworth (sideline) on the call.
The game is being sponsored by Our Lady of Lourdes Imaging Center, with the theme of “Giving Breast Cancer the Bounce.” Fans are encouraged to wear a splash of pink. Pink basketballs and pink pomp oms will be available, while supplies last, and a recognition of breast cancer survivors will be held during halftime.
The game is also Girl Scout/Boy Scout Night with all scouts in uniform receiving free admission. At halftime, fans will be entertained by the Perfection on Wheels BMX Bike Show.
SBC leader Louisiana (22-4, 12-1 SBC) continued its success in one of its most historic seasons after defeating Texas State, 73-63, on Thursday. The win improved Louisiana’s home record to 12-0 – its best start in the Cajundome and one shy of the school record set in 1972-73 and 1977-78.
Bryce Washington recorded his 35th career double-double for Louisiana, scoring a game-high 19 points while hauling in a game-high 10 rebounds. Frank Bartley scored 18 points for the Ragin’ Cajuns with Johnathan Stove coming off the bench to add 15.
Marcus Stroman dished out 11 assists for Louisiana, increasing his season total to 165 – tied for the ninth-most by a Ragin’ Cajun in a single season.
UTA (16-11, 7-7 SBC), the preseason SBC favorite, dropped an 84-71 decision at ULM on Thursday. The Mavs are second behind Louisiana (84.2) in the SBC in scoring offense, averaging 77.3 points per game, while ranking second in the league in both assists (16.2) and blocked shots (4.3).
GAME 27: Louisiana (22-4, 12-1 SBC) vs. UT Arlington (16-11, 7-7 SBC)
Date / Time: February 17, 2018 / 7 p.m.
Site: Lafayette, La.
Arena: Cajundome (12,362)
Radio: KHXT 107.9 FM
Talent: Ian Auzenne (pxp)
Talent: Matt Stewart (pxp), Bob Donewald (color), Whitney Haworth (sideline)
Live Stats: CajunStats.com
Social Updates: @RaginCajunsMBB | #GeauxCajuns
Series: Louisiana leads, 19-8
At Lafayette: Louisiana leads, 10-3
At Arlington: Louisiana leads, 8-5
At Neutral Sites: Louisiana leads, 1-0
Streak: Louisiana +2
Head Coach: Bob Marlin (Mississippi State, 1981)
Record at Louisiana: 150-108 (eighth season), Career Record: 498-274 (25th season)
Head Coach: Scott Cross (UTA, 1998)
Record at UTA: 220-159 (13th season), Career Record: Same
• Louisiana’s 12-0 start at the Cajundome is the best-ever start since moving into the facility in 1985. A win today would tie for the best-ever start at home in school history - done twice (1972-73, 1977-78).
• Louisiana’s 15-game homecourt win streak dating back to last season is tied for the seventh-longest among Division I programs.
• Louisiana, Montana and UC Santa Barbara are the only schools nationally (as of Feb. 15) that have won eight or more games on the road and are undefeated at home.
• Under Bob Marlin, Louisiana is 54-30 overall in games played in February and March.
• Since the 2013-14 season, Louisiana has recorded 87 games with 80 or more points scored - the fifth-most by any Division I school during that span and trailing North Carolina (103), BYU (98), Duke (93) and Gonzaga (92).
LOUISIANA IN THE RANKINGS (through games of Feb. 15)
• RPI - 45
• BPI - 46
• KenPom.com - 56
• Sagarin - 75
• Louisiana enters today’s game against UT Arlington ranked in the top-20 nationally in the following categories: Assists per game (6th, 18.1), Free throws made (15th, 459), Rebound margin (11th, +7.2), Scoring margin (10th, 14.0), Scoring offense (16th, 84.2), Total assists (8th, 471) and Winning Percentage (10th, .846)
• Bryce Washington is tied for fourth among active Division I players in total rebounds (1,023), tied for fifth in career double-doubles (36), 27th in rebound average (8.0), tied for 35th in games played (127) and 36th in career field goal percentage (.574).
• Washington is one of five Division I players to average a double-double during the past two seasons joining Angel Delgado (Seton Hall), Bonzie Colson (Notre Dame), Alize Johnson (Missouri State) and James Thompson IV (Eastern Michigan).
• Frank Bartley is 72 points shy from reaching the 1,000-point mark as a Ragin’ Cajun. He would become the third player this season to reach the 1,000-point mark, joining teammates Bryce Washington and Johnathan Stove.
• Louisiana has had three players reach the 1,000-point mark in the same season twice in school history, beginning in 1983-84 (Dion Brown, Alonzo Allen and George Almones) and in 2013-14 (Elfrid Payton, Shawn Long, and Bryant Mbamalu).
SCOUTING THE MAVS
• UTA, the preseason favorite in the Sun Belt Conference, had its three-game win streak snapped on Thursday in an 84-71 loss at ULM.
• Kevin Hervey leads UTA in scoring (20.8) and rebounds (8.6) and is tied for ninth among active NCAA players in double-doubles (34). The senior ranks second in the league in both scoring and rebounds.
• Erick Neal, who scored 35 points at ULM on Thursday, averages 15.2 points per game and leads the SBC in assists per game (7.0). He is second among active NCAA players in career assists (716).
• Virginia Tech graduate transfer Johnny Hamilton is sixth in the SBC in rebounds (7.6) and second in blocks (2.2)
• The Mavs are second behind Louisiana (84.2) in the SBC in scoring offense, averaging 77.3 points per game, while ranking second in the league in both assists (16.2) and blocked shots (4.3).
• Louisiana heads out on the road for the final time during the regular-season when it travels east to face Troy (Feb. 22, 7:15 p.m., ESPN3) and South Alabama (Feb. 24, 7:05 p.m.).