Police warn against sharing explicit footage on social media - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette

Police warn against sharing explicit footage on social media

Posted: Updated:
Image Courtesy: MGN Online Image Courtesy: MGN Online

Police are warning people not to share explicit material on social media platforms. 

This may include material that is pornographic, violent or illegal. 

Recently, an explicit video involving a juvenile girl is being shared on Facebook. 

By sharing the video, even if your intentions are just to alert law enforcement, you are breaking the law. Instead of sharing the video, you should report it to Facebook or law enforcement. 

The Memphis Police Department in Tennessee has issued the following warning:


There is currently a Facebook video that is circulating through the Facebook community that shows a pornographic image of a young girl and an adult male. DO NOT SHARE THIS VIDEO!

If a pornographic image shows up on your Facebook page, contact Facebook immediately and delete the image from your account. Sharing said image is considered distribution and you could be criminally charged for doing so. We understand that sharing information sometimes brings a criminal to justice, but sharing amongst Facebook friends is not the way to do it.

So you know, once an image is reported properly via Facebook notification, Facebook will immediately notify law enforcement.

The recent image that is circulating has been reported and is being handled by a law enforcement agency out of Alabama. This incident did not occur in Memphis, TN.

Please help spread the message of NOT sharing these graphic images."

Memphis police say the investigation is being handled in Alabama where the video originated. 

Law enforcement officers in Alabama have not yet identified the victim or the suspect in the video, nor do they know when the incident occurred. 

Power Doppler HD
Powered by Frankly

© KATC.com 2018, KATC.com
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?