Baldwin Fire Department warns about oven fires - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette

Baldwin Fire Department warns about oven fires

Posted: Updated:

Baldwin firefighters have responded to several oven fires in recent weeks, and these aren't from cooking or attempts to warm the house.They're all coming from one source.

"We got called out because of people using the self-cleaning feature on their ovens," says Neil Hebert from the Baldwin Fire Department.

The self-cleaning feature is one you probably don't use often, so you might not know how it works.

"The way the system works is it gets really hot in there and burns up anything in there. That's how it cleans it, so anything you leave in there is going to get burned," says Hebert.

And before using the 'self-clean' feature, check the manufacturer's instructions.

"you need to really check your manufacturer's instructions before you use that feature."
As always the fire department has a few more simple tips to keep your home flame free.

"It's going to get cold again. People using space heaters, just be very careful. Use them according to instructions. Be careful with extension cords and have working smoke detectors in your house," says Hebert.

The Baldwin Fire Department says you should test your smoke detector about once a month. You can do that by pressing the test button on the smoke detector and waiting to hear the "beep" noise. They also say you should change the batteries once a year.

Powered by Frankly

© KATC.com 2018, KATC.com
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?