Quantcast

Grandmother dies in Lake Charles house fire - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette

Grandmother dies in Lake Charles house fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo Courtesy MGN Online Photo Courtesy MGN Online
LAKE CHARLES, La. -

A grandmother is dead and her daughter and grandson are injured after a house fire in Lake Charles overnight.

State Fire Marshal investigators say wood placed too close to a wood stove inside the home ignited, causing the death of 63-year-old Barbara Thomson of Lake Charles.

Investigators responded to the 4000 block of John Koonce Road after crews arrived on the scene shortly after 1:00 a.m. this morning.

The home was completely engulfed in flames when crews arrived. After entering the residence, firefighters found the body of Thomson in a second-story bedroom. Her body has since been turned over to the Calcasieu Parish Coroner's Office. 

A spokesman with the State Fire Marshal's Office says Thomson was visiting her daughter at the time of the fire.

Thomson's daughter was injured while rescuing her 6-year-old and 4-year-old sons from the burning home. She was transported to a local hospital to be treated for moderate-to-severe burns, and her 6-year-old was treated for minor burns before being released to family members. 

Investigators say the wood stove, which was in use during the time of the fire, was located on the first floor of the home, and there were no working smoke alarms in the home during the fire. 

WEATHER
Power Doppler HD
Powered by Frankly

© KATC.com 2018, KATC.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?