LAFAYETTE – Fresh off a third-place finish in the inaugural Cayman Islands Classic, the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns men’s basketball team returns to the friendly confines of the Cajundome on Tuesday when it plays host to in-state rival McNeese.
Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on the Ragin’ Cajuns Digital Network via RaginCajuns.com and can be heard in the Lafayette area on KHXT 107.9 FM, ESPN 1420 AM and the ESPN1420 app.
Louisiana (4-2) earned wins over Iowa and Richmond in last week’s tournament in the Cayman Islands and returns home to face McNeese (2-3) for the 93rd time in school history. The Ragin’ Cajuns claimed a 92-72 win in last year’s meeting in Lake Charles and have won the last four meetings in the Cajundome since 2007.
The game against the Cowboys is the first of six straight for the Ragin’ Cajuns against in-state foes with home games scheduled against Loyola (Dec. 6), New Orleans (Dec. 16) and Southeastern Louisiana (Dec. 19), plus road games at Nicholls (Dec. 1) and Louisiana Tech (Dec. 12).
GAME 7: Louisiana (4-2) vs. McNeese (2-3)
Date / Time: November 28, 2017 / 7 p.m.
Site: Lafayette, La.
Arena: Cajundome (12,362)
Radio: KHXT 107.9 FM / ESPN1420 AM
Talent: Jay Walker (PxP)
On-Line: Ragin’ Cajuns Digital Network (FREE)
Talent: Dan McDonald (PxP)
Live Stats: CajunStats.com
Twitter Updates: @RaginCajunsMBB
Series History: Louisiana leads, 57-35
At Lafayette: Louisiana leads, 36-15
At Lake Charles: McNeese leads, 22-20
At Neutral Sites: Louisiana leads, 1-0
Head Coach: Bob Marlin (Mississippi State, 1981)
Record at Louisiana: 132-106 (eighth season), Career Record: 480-272 (25th season)
Head Coach: Dave Simmons (Louisiana Tech, 1981)
Record at MCN: 144-194 (12th season), Career Record: 171-223 (14th season)
• Louisiana and McNeese State continue their annual I-10 hardwood rivalry when the teams meet on Tuesday at the Cajundome.
• Ragin’ Cajuns guard P.J. Hardy is the younger brother of former McNeese and All-Southland Conference guard Kevin Hardy.
• The Ragin’ Cajuns have won the last two meetings in the series, including a 92-72 win at Burton Coliseum on Dec. 3, 2016.
• Head coach Bob Marlin is 17-12 overall in his career against the Cowboys.
• Louisiana is averaging 114.0 points per game in the Cajundome this season.
• Louisiana has won its last 25 regular-season, non-conference games at home dating back to Dec. 18, 2012 (vs. Robert Morris).
• With 1,029 points scored in his career, Bryce Washington moved past Elvin Ivory (1,028 points, 1966-68) and Dwayne Mitchell (1,027 points, 2003-06) into 41st place on the UL scoring list.
• Washington can pass Lonnie Thomas (1,043 points, 1998-01) for 40th place with 14 points.
• The Ragin’ Cajuns return 75.6 percent of its scoring and 79.1 percent of its rebounds from the 2016-17 season.
• Louisiana has won 20 or more games in three of the past four seasons.
• Louisiana went 7-5 in games decided by six points or less in 2016-17 after going 0-6 in 2015-16. Under Bob Marlin, the Ragin’ Cajuns are 41-41 overall in games decided by six points or less.
• Louisiana leads the Sun Belt Conference in assists (19.7) and steals (10.5).
• Bryce Washington has recorded 27 career double-doubles and has 35 games with 10 or more rebounds.
• Washington’s 369 rebounds in 2016-17 were the fifth-most in a single-season in school history.
• Frank Bartley’s six steals against Richmond at the Cayman Islands Classic is tied for the most by a Sun Belt Conference player this season (O’Showen Williams, Appalachian State vs. Bridgewater; 11/12/17)
• Johnathan Stove, who has missed the last five games with an ankle/foot injury, is 196 points shy of reaching the 1,000-point mark.
SCOUTING THE COWBOYS
• McNeese enters tonight’s contest coming off a 103-79 win over Southern-New Orleans in its last game on Saturday.
• The Cowboys have averaged 102.0 points in their two wins on the season with its losses coming at Houston, San Diego State and Loyola Marymount.
• Lafayette native Kalob LeDoux leads McNeese in scoring at 13.8 points per game with Jarren Greenwood averaging 12.6. Quattarius Wilson is second in the Southland Conference with 8.8 rebounds per game.
• The Cowboys have pulled down a Southland Conference-best 41.8 rebounds per game and are fourth in the SLC in rebound margin (+4.0).
• Louisiana continues its schedule against in-state programs on Friday when it makes the trip down the bayou to face Nicholls in a 7 p.m. contest at Stopher Gym.