Quantcast

Lafayette family loses home to fire - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette

Lafayette family loses home to fire

Posted: Updated:
Trailer catches fire in Lafayette Trailer catches fire in Lafayette
LAFAYETTE, La. -

A father and daughter escaped injury after their home went up into flames this afternoon. 

Shortly before 4 p.m. today, Lafayette, Broussard and Youngsville firefighters responded to a mobile home fire in the 200 block of Amite Drive. When crews arrived, the mobile home was fully engulfed.

According to a spokesman with the Lafayette Fire Department, the occupants were outside of the home. No injuries were reported. 

Firefighters battled the fire for approximately twenty minutes before getting it under control. The mobile home sustained heavy fire damage. 

The spokesman says the occupants of the home noticed an electrical breaker trip. Shortly after resetting the breaker, they began to smell smoke in a bedroom. Upon entering the room, they discovered the fire was burning up the wall behind the bed. Both occupants then exited the trailer quickly. 

American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Lafayette fire investigators determined the fire originated in an electrical receptacle behind the bed. The fire was caused by an electrical short, and was ruled an accident. 

WEATHER
Power Doppler HD
Powered by Frankly

© KATC.com 2017, KATC.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?