2013 Home Furniture & KATC
$12,000 SLCC Scholarship Giveaway
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, the 2013 KATC Home Furniture $12,000 SLCC Scholarship Giveaway (the "Sweepstakes") is open to U.S. citizens who are residents of the State of Louisiana in the parishes of Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Jeff Davis, Lafayette, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary, or Vermilion who are 16 years of age or older as of the time of entry (provided that entrants under the age of majority have a parent's or guardian's permission to enter and can provide such permission to Sponsor and/or KATC upon request). Employees of KATC, Home Furniture, South Louisiana Community College, South Louisiana Community College Foundation, and each of their respective affiliated companies, and advertising and promotional agencies, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees, are not eligible to enter or to win. The term "immediate family members" includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and grandchildren.
In addition, participants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible to enter or win:
a. Participants must be admitted to any South Louisiana Community College ("SLCC") campus as of the time of entry. Participants may be incoming freshmen or returning students.
b. Participants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or a minimum GED score of 450. For incoming freshmen, the relevant GPA will be the entrant's cumulative high school GPA. For returning SLCC students, the relevant GPA will be the entrant's cumulative GPA at SLCC
c. Participants must have a current completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid ("FAFSA") form on file at South Louisiana Community College. The FAFSA form can be filled out online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/.
Employees of South Louisiana Community College Foundation ("Sponsor"), Home Furniture Plus Bedding ("Home Furniture"), KATC Communications, Inc. ("KATC"), SLCC, or any of their respective affiliated companies or advertising or promotional agencies, and employees of any other Louisiana area television or radio station(s), and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees, are not eligible to enter or to win. The term "immediate family members" includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and grandchildren.
3. How To Enter. The Sweepstakes will begin at 12:00(C.T.) on Sept 23, 2013 and end at 11:59pm(C.T.) on November 15, 2013 (the "Sweepstakes Period"). Sponsor will be the official timekeeper for the Sweepstakes.
Enter online by visiting KATC.com and completing an Official Application Form (including answers to all essay questions), and following all posted instructions. Completed applications must be received by Sponsor between Sept 23, 2013 and Nov. 15, 2013 (the "Submission Period"). Limit one (1) entry per person.
The use of multiple identities and/or accounts is prohibited, and any attempt to obtain more than the stated number of entries will void that participant's entries and may result in participant's disqualification. Incomplete, forged, altered, automated, mechanically-reproduced, lost, late, misdirected, garbled or illegible entries will be disqualified. All entries become property of Sponsor and none will be returned. Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons who submit false or misleading entry information or who Sponsor determines to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Sweepstakes.
4. Prize Winner Selection Process. Following the conclusion of the Submission Period, four (4) potential Prize Winners will be selected by a committee of judges consisting of employees of Sponsor with experience in college admissions based upon the following criteria (collectively, the "Criteria"):
a. Quality of answers to essay questions including composition, grammar and punctuation (maximum of 100 points available)
b. GPA or GED score (maximum of 100 points available). For incoming freshmen, the relevant GPA will be the entrant's cumulative high school GPA. For returning SLCC students, the relevant GPA will be the entrant's cumulative GPA at SLCC
c. Financial need as determined by the FAFSA (maximum of 100 points available).
At the end of the judging process, the three (3) incoming first-time freshman entrants with the highest point scores, and the one (1) returning student entrant with the highest point score, will be named the potential Prize Winners. In the event of a tie, the winner will be chosen based upon the entrant with the highest point score for "GPA or GED score." If the two entrants have the same point score for the "GPA or GED score" category, then the winner will be chosen based upon the entrant with the highest point score for "financial need as determined by the FAFSA.
5. Prize Description. Subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules, four (4) Prize Winners will each win a maximum $3,000 scholarship to SLCC. The scholarship will be allocated evenly between the spring and fall 2014 semesters ($1,500 per semester); provided, however, that the Prize Winner must successfully complete the Spring 2014 semester and remain a student in good standing with SLCC in order to receive the scholarship for the fall semester. If a Prize Winner does not successfully complete the spring 2014 semester, or does not remain in good standing with SLCC, then that Prize Winner forfeits his/her interest in the remaining $1,500 of the scholarship, in which case such funds shall remain the property of Sponsor (as between Sponsor and Prize Winner).
The Prize Winner must use the scholarship to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance or for fees and books required for courses of instruction. No substitutions allowed by Prize Winner. Federal and applicable state tax laws and regulations, including Section 117 of the IRS Code, may apply.
6. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Potential Prize Winners will be notified on or about Dec 1, 2013 at the telephone number or email address provided on the potential Prize Winner's entry form. In order to be declared a Winner, you (and, if applicable, your parent or guardian) must respond to Sponsor' notification within 7 days of notice or attempted notice. Sponsor's inability to reach a potential Prize Winner or his/her parent or guardian, return of any notification as undeliverable, a potential Prize Winner's failure to timely respond to notification, and/or a potential Prize Winner's (or his/her parent's or guardian's) failure to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules may, in Sponsor's sole discretion, result in that potential Prize Winner's disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the Prize, and the selection of a Substitute Potential Prize Winner, meaning the eligible entrant with the next highest total point score in the same category (freshman or returning SLCC student).
IN ADDITION, IN ORDER TO RECEIVE A PRIZE, A POTENTIAL WINNER (AND, IF APPLICABLE, THE POTENTIAL WINNER'S PARENT OR GUARDIAN) MUST AGREE TO AN INTERVIEW WITH SPONSOR AND/OR KATC, AND MUST PERMIT SPONSOR AND/OR KATC TO RECORD THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW. THE POTENTIAL WINNER (AND, IF APPLICABLE, THE POTENTIAL WINNER'S PARENT OR GUARDIAN) MUST CONSENT TO RECORDING THE INTERVIEW AT A TIME AND LOCATION TO BE DETERMINED BY SPONSOR AND/OR KATC IN THEIR SOLE DISCRETION. PRIOR TO THE INTERVIEW, THE POTENTIAL WINNER (AND, IF APPLICABLE, THE POTENTIAL WINNER'S PARENT OR GUARDIAN) MUST SIGN ANY INTERVIEW RELEASE FORMS THAT SPONSOR OR KATC MAY REQUIRE. THE INTERVIEW FOOTAGE MAY BE AIRED BY SPONSOR AND/OR KATC, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, IN A FUTURE FEATURE SEGMENT ON A KATC BROADCAST, ON A KATC WEBSITE/APP/SOCIAL MEDIA PAGE, A SPONSOR WEBSITE/APP/SOCIAL MEDIA PAGE, AND/OR IN ANY PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS (IN ANY MEDIA NOW KNOWN OR HEREAFTER DEVELOPED) WHICH ARE PREPARED FOR OR BY SPONSOR OR KATC. (FOR CLARITY, SPONSOR AND/OR KATC SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT, BUT NOT THE OBLIGATION, TO BROADCAST AND/OR OTHERWISE USE THE INTERVIEW FOOTAGE.) IF THE POTENTIAL WINNER (OR THE POTENTIAL WINNER'S PARENT OR GUARDIAN) IS UNABLE OR UNWILLING TO SUBMIT TO AN INTERVIEW OR TO PERMIT SPONSOR AND/OR KATC TO RECORD SUCH INTERVIEW, THE POTENTIAL MAY BE DISQUALIFIED, IN SPONSOR'S SOLE DISCRETION, AND A SUBSTITUTE POTENTIAL PRIZE WINNER MAY BE CHOSEN.
A PARTICIPANT IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY PRIZE UNLESS AND UNTIL SPONSOR HAS COMPLETED ITS VERIFICATION OF PARTICIPANT'S ELIGIBILITY (AND, IF APPLICABLE, OBTAINED ALL NECESSARY CONSENTS FROM THE PARTICIPANT'S PARENT OR GUARDIAN).
Prize Winner may waive his or her right to receive the prize. Except as otherwise permitted by Sponsor in its sole discretion, prize is non-assignable and nontransferable. Prize cannot be redeemed for cash. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes or components of prize packages with a prize or component of equal or greater value. Winner (and/or his/her parent or guardian) is solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on a prize. Winner and/or his/her parent or guardian may be required to provide his/her/their valid Social Security Number(s) to Sponsor for tax purposes and/or complete an IRS W-9 form in order to claim the prize. Winner and/or his/her parent or guardian is solely responsible for all federal, state and local taxes on prize value and, as applicable, may be issued an IRS Form 1099 and/or IRS Form T1098 based on the prize value determined by Sponsor. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor (as between Sponsor and any entrant or Prize Winner).
Prize Winner (and his/her parent or guardian) may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law), which must be signed and returned to Sponsor and KATC within ten (10) days of personal delivery or date of postmark in order to claim the prize. Prizes won by minors will require a parent or guardian to sign any affidavit, release, tax, acceptance, or other forms required by Sponsor or KATC. A parent/legal guardian must provide written proof of guardianship and must present a valid government-issued photo ID. Failure to timely sign and return any affidavit, release, or other forms (whether by Prize Winner or by his/her parent or guardian) may result in the Prize Winner's disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to a Substitute Potential Prize Winner.
7. Publicity. Except where prohibited, acceptance of any prize constitutes the winner's irrevocable consent to the publication or other use by Sponsor, SLCC, KATC, Home Furniture, and their licensees of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media, including the Internet, for any commercial, publicity or promotional purpose, without limitation, review or approval, or additional compensation.
8. Participation. By participating, participants and their parents/legal guardians agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, KATC and any Sweepstakes judges or administrators selected by Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor and KATC reserve the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Sweepstakes as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Sweepstakes is compromised by tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor or KATC which corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Sweepstakes, Sponsor and KATC reserve the right in their sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Sweepstakes. Should the Sweepstakes be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date. Proof of sending or submission of an entry will not be deemed proof of receipt by Sponsor or KATC.
9. Release. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE SWEEPSTAKES, EACH PARTICIPANT AGREES TO FULLY RELEASE, FOREVER DISCHARGE AND HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR, SLCC, KATC, HOME FURNITURE, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE PARENT COMPANIES, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, DISTRIBUTORS, ADVERTISING/PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND PRIZE SUPPLIERS AND EACH SUCH COMPANY'S OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS (COLLECTIVELY, THE "RELEASED PARTIES") FROM AND AGAINST ANY CLAIMS, COSTS, LIABILITIES, LOSSES, INJURIES, AND DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE SWEEPSTAKES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY CLAIMS FOR PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, OR DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF PROPERTY, LOSS OF ENJOYMENT, OR ANY OTHER HARM WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF: (1) PARTICIPATION IN THE SWEEPSTAKES; (2) THE QUALITY, RECEIPT, POSSESSION, USE, OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE; OR (3) ANY TRAVEL OR ACTIVITY THAT IS RELATED TO THE SWEEPSTAKES OR ANY PRIZE.
10. Limitations of Liability. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE SWEEPSTAKES, PARTICIPANTS ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT EVERYTHING REGARDING THIS SWEEPSTAKES, INCLUDING THE PRIZE, ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THAT SPONSOR, SLCC, KATC, AND HOME FURNITURE MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ABOUT THE PRIZE AND THAT SPONSOR, SLCC, KATC, AND HOME FURNITURE HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. (BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN IMPLIED WARRANTIES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE LIABILITY OF THE RELEASED PARTIES IS LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY SUCH STATE LAW.)
THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR: (1) ANY INCORRECT OR INACCURATE INFORMATION, WHETHER CAUSED BY PARTICIPANTS, PRINTING OR PRODUCTION ERRORS, OR BY ANY OF THE EQUIPMENT OR PROGRAMMING ASSOCIATED WITH OR EMPLOYED IN THE SWEEPSTAKES; (2) TECHNICAL FAILURES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO MALFUNCTIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, OR DISCONNECTIONS IN PHONE LINES OR NETWORK HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE; (3) UNAUTHORIZED HUMAN INTERVENTION IN ANY PART OF THE ENTRY PROCESS OR THE SWEEPSTAKES; (4) TECHNICAL OR HUMAN ERROR WHICH MAY OCCUR IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES, THE PROCESSING OF ENTRIES, OR THE NOTIFICATION OF ANY WINNER; OR (5) ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY WHICH MAY BE CAUSED, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM A PARTICIPANT'S PARTICIPATION IN THE SWEEPSTAKES OR RECEIPT OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE.
Only the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules is available to be won in the Sweepstakes. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming, or any other reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate eligible prize claims.
11. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
12. Sponsor. The 2013 KATC Home Furniture $12,000 SLCC Scholarship Giveaway is sponsored by the South Louisiana Community College Foundation. The decisions of Sponsor regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Sweepstakes shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor, KATC, and Home Furniture will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in any other materials or announcements relating to the Sweepstakes. For a list of winners (available after Dec 1, 2013) or a copy of these Official Rules, visit katc.com, or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to "Winners List Request" or "Official Rules Request" (as applicable), 2013 KATC Home Furniture $12,000 SLCC Scholarship Giveaway, 1103 Eraste Landry Road, Lafayette, LA, 70506