Posted: Jan 28, 2011 10:15 AM by Tracy Wirtz
Updated: Feb 1, 2011 1:58 PM
Remember, if you'd like to sign up for support or emails, shoot us a message at email@example.com.
I was so excited to see so many people at Heart Hospital of Lafayette this morning for the screening event in advance of the You Gotta Move Goes Red kickoff! Even if you didn't get screened, you can still participate. Remember, this is about being healthy... losing weight is a pleasant side effect.
In talking to some of the participants, I realized something I'd like to share with all of you. This is NOT a diet. There is a reason we call these "nutrition strategies." Yes, for the first two weeks, you will stay away from what we call "the forbidden five:" bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and cereals. You are purging your body of the foods that tend to sabotage weight loss, are full of empty calories and those that many women have a tendency to be sensitive to (i.e., cause sugar craving, cause mood swings, cause energy spikes and dips). Again, this is NOT a diet. After those two weeks, we will start introducing in their healthier counterparts.
I did the program last year. The first few days were HARD! Here are some of the things I learned and some tips that may help you:
1) I rediscovered foods I had forgotten I liked. I found myself visiting the frozen vegetable aisle longer because I could eat all that. (By the way, I LOVE brussel sprouts!)
2) I have a husband and two children and cook rice and gravy A LOT. I couldn't have the rice so I'd eat the meat and double or triple up on the veggies. If there were veggies I liked but they didn't, that was MY treat and I just cooked enough of that one for me, especially steamed them in the microwave.
3) This is NOT Atkins or a fad diet. I could have yogurt, peanut butter, nuts, cheese. You can too!
4) One of my new favorite salads (and it's EASY) is baby spinach leaves (throw them in a bowl), cut up some strawberries, slice some yellow squash, throw on some chopped walnuts and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
5) Bananas are my best friend!
This is not a diet!!! You are going to learn to eat healthier. OH! And YOU GOTTA MOVE!!!