Feb 20, 2013 11:48 PM by UL Sports Information
The Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team picked up its fourth straight win on Wednesday defeating Southern 5-2 in a dual match at Cajun Courts.
"Congratulations to the girls coming off of a doubleheader to finish off a very feisty Southern team," head coach Greg Harkins said. "The score doesn't show how close the match really was, and our girls did a good job to persevere in the last 48 hours."
Louisiana (5-4) swept doubles competition to earn the first point of the match. The duo of Nicole Breaux and Bailey VanDyke clinched the point at No.2 doubles with a n 8-2 win over Morgan Taylor and Camara Davis.
"I give credit to our doubles teams today," Harkins added. "They came out and set the tone for the rest of the match."
In singles play, the Cajuns extended their lead to 2-0 after Sophie van den Aarssen defeated Demetria Woods 6-4, 6-1 on court one. Freshman Juliette Clement made it 3-0 with her 6-2, 6-4 at No.6 singles.
The Ragin' Cajuns clinched the match on court two as Nicole Breaux notched her fourth straight win defeating Gabrielle Moore 6-4, 6-1.
Melissa Burckhartt claimed the final point of the match for UL at the No.6 position topping Camara Davis 7-6 (7-3), 6-4.
"The girls are learning and growing each match," Harkins stated. "We got a little mentally tired having played a lot of tennis over the past couple weeks. That allowed Southern to hang around. Lately we've done a good job of settling down and closing out the matches strong. We are looking forward to a break. We come back to a tough doubleheader at home against UNO and McNeese."
Louisiana returns to action on March 1 with a pair of home matches against New Orelans and McNeese State. Follow women's tennis on twitter @CajunW10ns.
Louisiana 5, Southern 2
1. Sop. Van den Aarssen (UL) def. Demetria Woods (SU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Gabrielle Moore (SU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Danielle Dixon (SU) def. Bailey VanDyke (UL) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Lois Alexis (SU) def. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Juliette Clement (UL) def. Laura Syori (SU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Camara Davis (SU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
1. Sop. Van den Aarssen/Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Gabrielle Moore/Lois Alexis (SU) 8-2
2. Nicole Breaux/Bailey VanDyke (UL) def. Morgan Taylor/Camara Davis (SU) 8-2
3. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Danielle Dixon/Kendall Bunch (SU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,5,2,4,6,3)
51 minutes ago