Apr 17, 2014 4:09 PM by UL Sports Information
NEW ORLEANS - The eighth-seeded Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis rolled to a 4-0 victory over ninth-seeded Western Kentucky in the first round of the Sun Belt Tennis Championship held at City Park Tennis Center on Thursday.
The Cajuns (7-16) ended a five-match losing streak with the win and will move on to the quarterfinals to face top-seeded Georgia State tomorrow at 8 a.m.
Louisiana jumped out to a 1-0 advantage after claiming the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. The duo of Melissa Burckhartt and Juliette Clement made quick work of Carolina Barboza and Gabby Crofford at the No. 2 position to win 8-2.
Julie Cremers and Alexandra Way clinched the point at the No. 3 position defeating Alex Crofford and Emily Przystawski, 8-3.
The Ragin' Cajuns carried the momentum over to singles winning three straight matches to close out the contest.
Sophomore Nicole Breaux was first off for Louisiana recording a strong 6-4, 6-2 victory against Madeline Phillips on court two to make the score 2-0.
Clement pulled the Ragin' Cajuns within a point from clinching defeating Crofford 6-2, 6-4 at line five. The win gives Clement a team-best ninth singles victory.
Junior Nelo Phiri clinched the match for the Cajuns with a straight set victory over Monta Reinfelde on court one, 6-3, 6-2.
The sweep is the third of the season for Louisiana and marks the fourth postseason win for the Ragin' Cajuns under head coach Greg Harkins.
The winner of the quarterfinal match between the Cajuns and Panthers will move on to face the winner of the Texas State/Troy quarterfinal in the semifinals on Saturday at 10 a.m.
#8 Louisiana 4, #9 Western Kentucky 0
1. Nelo Phiri (UL) def. Monta Reinfelde (WKU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Madeline Phillips (WKU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) vs. Carolina Barboza (WKU) 2-6, 4-1, unfinished
4. Julie Cremers (UL) vs. Emily Przystawski (WKU) 7-6 (8-6), 1-0, unfinished
5. Juliette Clement (UL) def. Gabby Crofford (WKU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Alexandra Way (UL) vs. Alex Crofford (WKU) 6-0, 5-3, unfinished
1. Nelo Phiri/Nicole Breaux (UL) vs. Madeline Phillips/Monta Reinfelde (WKU) 6-5, unfinished
2. Melissa Burckhartt/Juliette Clement (UL) def. Carolina Barboza/Gabby Crofford (WKU) 8-2
3. Julie Cremers/Alexandra Way (UL) def. Alex Crofford/Emily Przystawski (WKU) 8-3
#9 Western Kentucky 7-8
#8 UL Lafayette 7-16
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,5,1)
#8 UL Lafayette vs. #9 Western Kentucky
2014 Sun Belt Conference Women's Tennis Championship
1 hour ago