Jan 3, 2011 9:44 AM by Nichole Larkey
LAFAYETTE, LA-Everyone is interested in starting off the new year by eating healthy and starting an exercise program. The HealthInformationCenter is offering free health information to help you make wise health decisions for yourself and your family. It is very important to start a weight management plan that works. There are five steps to this plan:
1. Get Started - First, try to see yourself differently. There's a new, healthier you waiting to break through.
2. Know How Much to Lose - Find out what your weight range should be by using a weight table or formula. Then, set your target weight-loss goal.
3. Keep Records - Record your eating and activity habits to help determine your present patterns. Keeping records can also help you chart your weight loss.
4. Substitute Behavior - Once you recognize your old patterns, you can substitute new, positive behaviors for your old, unwanted ones. A good place to start is by passing up those high-fat snacks. Try a bike ride instead or a walk.
5. Balance Eating and Activity - Balance the calories you take in (eating) with the calories you burn off (activity) to help maintain your target weight.
Additional informational pamphlets are available from the HealthInformationCenter, such as: "Weight Management For Better Health", "Weight Control: Eating Right and Keeping Fit" (for women), "Walking For Fitness - Safe Aerobic Exercise For Everyone", and "Exercise and Fitness" (for women). These pamphlets can be mailed upon request. To request this free information call (337) 988-1816 or log on to www.womansfoundation.com.
6 hours ago