St. Mary

Nov 6, 2013 4:26 PM by Ian Auzenne

UPDATE: Referee files charges against players who allegedly punched him

Two West St. Mary High School football players may be expelled from school after they allegedly punched a referee during a game Friday night against Erath.

According to Greg Gautreaux, the assignments secretary for the Lafayette Area Football Officials' Association, the incident took place after a West St. Mary assistant coach was ejected from the contest with 12 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Gautreaux says the coach refused to leave, prompting the referee to call an end to the ball game.

According to Keith Alexander, assistant executive director of the Louisiana High School Athletic Association, the officials' postgame report stated that an unidentified adult on the sidelines punched the referee in the back after the game was called. The report states a student then punched the referee before the second student punched the referee twice in the mouth.

Gautreaux says the referee suffered a cut lip.

St. Mary Parish School's Superintendent Donald Aguillard says the students will have a disciplinary hearing and are eligible for punishment up to and including expulsion.

"Once formal investigations are completed, St. Mary Parish will take every action to fully discipline the individuals involved, according to district policy," Aguillard said in a statement. "In addition, preventative measures, such as providing additional security for future athletic contests, will be examined to prevent further unsportsmanlike offenses of such a serious nature."

Alexander says the referee has filed charges against the players involved. The St. Mary Parish Sheriff's Office confirmed to KATC that it is investigating the case.

The LHSAA is also investigating the incident. Alexander says the his office is working to identify the adult who first punched the referee. Once that happens, Alexander says a disciplinary hearing will take place. In the meantime, the assistant coach who was ejected from last week's game and the players involved in the incident are barred from attending West St. Mary's Friday night game against Abbeville.

Gautreaux says the referee is scheduled to call a game Friday night.

Related Stories


Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular