Feb 17, 2013 9:16 AM by UL Sports Information
The Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team capped off their six-match road swing with a 4-3 comeback victory over Stephen F. Austin at the Schlief Tennis Complex on Saturday afternoon.
"This was a special win for us today," head coach Greg Harkins said. "We lost 7-0 last season to this team, which was top 40 at the time, and this was the final stop of a six matches on the road. We have gotten better with each match against some great teams. We had pushed our last two opponents in doubles and singles but didn't quite break through. The girls decided last night that they were going to go out there today and leave it all on the court for this match.
"We spoke about intensity with the understanding that we must take the points from our opponents because they weren't going to give them to us, and that's what we did today."
The Cajuns (2-4) jumped out in front 1-0 winning the doubles point. After the duo of Sophie van den Aarseen and Sandra Ahlqvist picked up an 8-4 victory on court two, Juliette Clement and Melissa Burckhartt clinched the point defeating Margot de Haan and Laura Servise 8-6 on court three.
Freshman Melissa Burckhardtt increased the Louisiana advantage to 2-0 with a strong 6-1, 6-1 victory over Laura Servise at No.6 singles.
Stephen F. Austin (1-5) answered taking the next three points winning at the No.1, 2 and 5 positions to take a 3-2 lead.
Ahlqvist evened the match at 3-all with her straight sets win on court four over Margot de Haan.
Freshman Nicole Breaux clinched the match at No.3 singles with a hard fought 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-1) decision over Kateryna Bugayenko.
"It was a total team effort and great crowd support from the Cajun Nation that had over 30 supporters on hand which helped propel the team to victory," Harkins added. "We spoke about finishing strong and that's what we did. We are looking forward to being back at Cajun Courts for an extended homestand with continued success in front of our loyal Cajun fans."
The Cajuns open the home slate on Monday at 2 p.m. when they host non-conference opponent and in-state rival Southern at Cajun Courts. The match will debut the new scoreboard that was recently installed. For updates on women's tennis follow the team on twitter @CajunW10ns.
Louisiana 4, Stephen F. Austin 3
1. Malena Gordo (SFA) def. Sop. Van den Aarssen (UL) 6-3, 6-3
2. Julia Lorca (SFA) def. Bailey VanDyke (UL) 6-3, 7-5
3. Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Kateryna Bugayenko (SFA) 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-1)
4. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Margot de Haan (SFA) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
5. Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Juliette Clement (UL) 6-4, 6-1
6. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Laura Servise (SFA) 6-1, 6-1
1. Malena Gordo/Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Nicole Breaux/Bailey VanDyke (UL) 8-3
2. Sop. Van den Aarssen/Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Kateryna Bugayenko/Julia Lorca (SFA) 8-4
3. Juliette Clement/Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Margot de Haan/Laura Servise (SFA) 8-6
Stephen F. Austin 1-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,3,5,4,6)