Apr 18, 2013 8:37 PM by UL Sports Information
LAFAYETTE, La. - The Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team picked up its fourth straight win on Thursday at Cajun Courts defeating Florida Atlantic 4-0 to advance to the Sun Belt Championship semifinals. Louisiana will face Middle Tennessee at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Cajun Courts.
"It was good to finally get out and play the start the Sun Belt Conference tournament," head coach Mark Jeffrey. "I felt like we started well in both doubles and singles. The whole team fought hard today."
The Ragin' Cajuns (15-11) jumped on the Owls (8-14) early in doubles competition quickly clinching the doubles points with a win on court three by Hunter and Yates Johnson, 8-2.
Louisiana carried the momentum over into singles play winning five of the six first sets. Jake Wynan was the first to come off in singles posting a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Richard Meade at the No.4 positon.
Freshman Hunter Johnson gave the Cajuns a 3-0 edge after defeating Matthew Samberg 6-4, 6-3 on court five. The win gives Johnson 14 on the season and ties him for the team lead with junior Rick de Groot.
Jarred Wynan clinched the match at No.6 taking a second set tiebreaker to win 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) over John Nowak.
"Jake Wynan, Hunter Johnson and Jarred Wynan all came through for us in straight sets at the bottom of the lineup," Jeffrey mentioned. "I also felt that the guys at the top of the lineup fought hard in their matches."
During the Cajuns four-match win streak the team has only surrendered one point going a combined 23-1 during the stretch.
Admission to the Sun Belt semifinal match with Middle Tennessee is free, and live stats and video for the match are available on RaginCajuns. For info and updates on men's tennis follow the team on twitter @CajunMensTennis.
Louisiana 4, Florida Atlantic 0
1. Rick de Groot (UL) vs. Fantova, Jose (FAU) 6-0, 5-6, unfinished
2. Edgar Lopez (UL) vs. M.-Kougoucheff, A. (FAU) 4-6, 5-4, unfinished
3. Damian Farinola (UL) vs. Dubuque, Robert (FAU) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
4. Jake Wynan (UL) def. Meade, Richard (FAU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Hunter Johnson (UL) def. Samberg, Matthew (FAU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jarred Wynan (UL) def. Nowak, John (FAU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Rick de Groot/Jake Wynan (UL) vs. Fantova, Jose/M.-Kougoucheff, A. (FAU) 6-3, unfinished
2. Edgar Lopez/Jarred Wynan (UL) def. Dubuque, Robert/Meade, Richard (FAU) 8-3
3. Hunter Johnson/Yates Johnson (UL) def. Samberg, Matthew/Nowak, John (FAU) 8-2
Florida Atlantic 8-14
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,5,6)
21 hours ago