Mar 15, 2014 11:45 PM by UL Sports Information
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team closed out its road trip to Alabama with a sweep of Samford, 7-0, at the Samford Tennis Center on Saturday.
Louisiana (12-4) won all three doubles matches and all six singles matches to improve to 6-2 on the road this season. Both losses came to teams ranked in the top 15.
The Cajun clinched the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. Damian Farinola and Edgar Lopez recorded their 10th doubles win of the spring defeating Fares Kilani and Austin Akers at the No. 2 position, 8-5. Jake Wynan and Rick de Groot also won 8-5 on court one against Trey Carter and Elliot Barnwell.
In singles, the Ragin' Cajuns dropped just one set with five of the six matches decided in straight sets.
Sophomore Hunter Johnson increased his win streak to nine matches winning in a super-tiebreaker on court four against Trey Carter, 6-7 (5-8), 6-2, 1-0 (10-7).
Jake Wynan notched a team-best 10th win defeating Elliot Barnwell in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 1 position.
On court two, de Groot cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win to earn his fourth straight victory, while Lopez and Farinola also won in straight sets on courts three and five.
Louisiana returns to action on Tuesday at 2 p.m. as they host Alcorn State in the first of four home matches at Cajun Courts.
Louisiana 7, Samford 0
1. Jake Wynan (UL) def. Elliot Barnwell (SAM) 6-4, 6-4
2. Rick de Groot (UL) def. Fares Kilani (SAM) 6-2, 6-1
3. Edgar Lopez (UL) def. Austin Akers (SAM) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
4. Hunter Johnson (UL) def. Trey Carter (SAM) 6-7 (5-8), 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Damian Farinola (UL) def. Liam Sullivan (SAM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Carl Alberton (UL) def. No player (SAM), walkover
1. Jake Wynan/Rick de Groot (UL) def. Trey Carter/Elliot Barnwell (SAM) 8-5
2. Damian Farinola/Edgar Lopez (UL) def. Fares Kilani/Austin Akers (SAM) 8-5
3. Hunter Johnson/Yates Johnson (UL) def. No player/No player (SAM) 8-0
The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team dropped its fourth straight match on Saturday falling to Louisiana Tech 5-2 at Cajun Courts.
The Bulldogs (12-2) grabbed the doubles point despite a win on court one by the duo of Nelo Phiri and Nicole Breaux against Marta Sramkova and Alexandra Starkova, 8-4.
Jazmin Britos and Melanie Urvoy clinched the point for the Bulldogs defeating Julie Cremers and Alexandra Way at the No. 2 position, 8-6.
"Louisiana Tech has tremendous depth and strength, but that doesn't make up for the missed opportunities in today's match," head coach Greg Harkins said. "The doubles point was on our racket and we let it slip away. The match was still undecided after three hours and 30 minutes, and we are learning that and it doesn't take much to turn the tide. We have to be mentally focused during those pressure moments that decide the outcome."
In singles, Louisiana Tech clinched the match winning on courts one, four and five to take a 4-0 advantage. Starkova earned the deciding point for the Bulldogs defeating Nelo Phiri at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 7-6.
The Cajuns (5-11) picked up two points in the match with Breaux gutting out a three-set decision versus Sramkova on court two, 0-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Melissa Burckhartt also had a singles win defeating Jazmin Britos at the No. 3 position, 6-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-7).
"Breaux and Phiri continued their winning ways in doubles putting us in position to win the point," Harkins added. " Nicole Breaux and Melissa Burckhartt did a great job of staying mentally focused and coming back to win their matches after dropping first sets."
The Ragin' Cajuns are back in action on Tuesday at 3 p.m. as they host Alcorn State at Cajun Courts before going on the road for four straight matches.
"We are a young squad learning and working our way through the school of hard knocks," Harkins said. "I am impressed with the attitude of the team. They are positive and still looking for their beak through moment. We have another stretch of strong opponents through the end of March. Each battle is preparing us for the Sunbelt Conference Championships in April. We are eager to get back on the court for another opportunity versus Alcorn State on Tuesday."
Louisiana Tech 5, Louisiana 2
1. Alexandra Starkova (LT) def. Nelo Phiri (UL) 6-3, 7-6
2. Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Marta Sramkova (LT) 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Jazmin Britos (LT) 6-7, 7-6, 10-7
4. Melanie Urvoy (LT) def. Julie Cremers (UL) 6-2, 6-2
5. Manoela Chiacchio (LT) def. Alexandra Way (UL) 6-3, 6-4
6. Taly Merker (LT) def. Juliette Clement (UL) 6-3, 6-4
1. Nelo Phiri/Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Marta Sramkova/Alexandra Starkova (LT) 8-4
2. Jazmin Britos/Melanie Urvoy (LT) def. Julie Cremers/Alexandra Way (UL) 8-6
3. Taly Merker/Manoela Chiacchio (LT) def. Melissa Burckhartt/Juliette Clement (UL) 8-2
Louisiana Tech 12-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,5,1,6,2,3)
4 hours ago