Lafayette

Dec 1, 2011 11:13 PM by Maddie Garrett

Stove Fire Destroys Family's Home

A Lafayette family lost almost everything in a house fire Thursday morning. Lafayette Fire Department said the cause was a gas burning stove, which the family was using to heat the home.

"I just saw some flame that was coming up so I got up to go see what was wrong and I saw fire," said Trevin Ben.

17-year-old Ben said he tried to put the fire out, but said it soon grew out of control.

"Something blew up in my face, I blocked my face and I threw my mom out the way," said Ben. "It just blew up. And I fell and I grabbed my mom and just started running out the house."

Fortunately everyone made it out of the house. Trevin was the only person injured, suffering from first and second degree burns. Alton Trahan with the Lafayette Fire Department said this family was lucky.

"11 years to the date we lost a family of five and they were using their stove top as well to heat up the home. Back in 2002, we lost a family of eight, the Mesa-Faulk family. They were using space heaters. So those two events are very tragic but it reminds us in the fire service that we're trying to get the message out," said Trahan.

That message, Trahan said, is to always use caution when using heaters, and never use a stove or oven to heat your home. The Ben family said they won't be doing that again, after losing so much to this fire.

The family has five children and lost a lot of clothes, baby formula and supplies. The Red Cross is assisting the Ben's. For more information on how to help, contact Nancy Malone with American Red Cross at: (225) 456-5519 or nmalone@batonrouge.redcross.org.

The children's sizes are:
Male size 2T, Female size 3 to 6 months, Male size 14, Female size 16, Male size 15

 

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular