May 1, 2014 11:59 AM
Flashlights, batteries, portable generators and other emergency supplies are free from the 4 percent state sales tax on Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25.
The sales tax holiday exempts each eligible item from the 4 percent state sales tax. It applies to the first $1,500 of the purchase price of each item.
Eligible purchases include:
• Self-powered light sources, such as flashlights and candles
• Portable self-powered radios, two-way radios, and weather-band radios
• Tarpaulins or other flexible waterproof sheeting
• Ground anchor systems, straps or tie-down kits
• Gas or diesel fuel tanks
• Batteries, sizes AAA, AA, C, D, 6-volt, or 9-volt (Automobile batteries and boat batteries are ineligible)
• Cellular phone batteries and chargers
• Non-electric food storage coolers
• Portable generators
• Storm shutter devices (Materials and products manufactured, rated, and marketed specifically for the purposes of preventing window damage from storms)
• Carbon monoxide detectors
• "Blue Ice" (and similar re-usable cooling products)
The exemption applies only to the 4 percent state sales tax. Local taxes apply unless specifically exempted by local taxing authorities.
Visit www.revenue.louisiana.gov/hurricaneprep for more information.