May 14, 2010 12:47 PM by Melissa Canone
LAFAYETTE - Outstanding students, former graduates and Louisiana politicians will all be speakers during UL Lafayette commencement ceremonies Saturday at the Cajundome and Cajundome Convention Center.
Scheduled speakers and the complete schedule of ceremonies include:
• 9 a.m. College of General Studies. Stephen Gaubert, a graduate of UL Lafayette and former University policeman, will serve as the keynote speaker. Gaubert is a practicing lawyer in Louisiana. He graduated from UL Lafayette with a Bachelors of General Studies degree with a concentration in behavioral science. He graduated from The Southern University Law Center in 2004.
• noon. College of Liberal Arts. The family of Rusty Ruiz, a UL Lafayette student who was killed in a recent car accident, will receive his college degree posthumously during commencement ceremonies for the College of Liberal Arts. Ruiz was majoring in political science.
• 3 p.m. B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration. U.S. Sen. David Vitter will give the keynote address. He has been serving as U.S. Senator since 2004. Prior to that, he joined Louisiana's delegation in the U.S. Congress representing the 1st Congressional District. He is a graduate of Harvard University and Tulane Law School.
• 5:30 p.m. Graduate School. U.S. Congressman Charlie Melancon is the keynote speaker for Graduate School. He is currently serving his third term in the U.S. Congress representing the 3rd District of Louisiana. Prior to his election to Congress in 2004, Melancon spent 11 years as the president and general manger of the American Sugar Cane. He is a graduate of UL Lafayette. He has a degree in agri-business.
Cajundome Convention Center - Exhibit Hall (first floor)
• 9 a.m. College of Nursing and Allied Health Professions. There will be no keynote address.
• noon. College of Education. U.S. Senator David Vitter will give the keynote address at this ceremony.
• 3 p.m. College of Engineering. Ray DesOrmeaux, a former president of the UL Lafayette Alumni Association and a UL Lafayette Distinguished Alumni, will give the keynote address. DesOrmeaux is a Louisiana Professional Engineered and Louisiana Registered Land Surveyor. He is president of E.R. DesOrmeaux Inc. and is an adjunct professor in civil engineering.
Cajundome Convention Center - Festival Ballroom (second floor)
• 9 a.m. Ray P. Authement College of Sciences. Andrea Lewis, the college's Outstanding Graduate, will give the keynote address. Lewis is a microbiology major with a minor in chemistry. She is the daughter of Mary Sutton and Ivy Lewis of Baton Rouge.
• noon. College of the Arts. Ellen Ware, the college's Outstanding Graduate, will give the keynote address. The interior design major is finishing her college career with a 4.0 GPA. She is the daughter of Edward and Janice Ware of Rayne.
5 hours ago