May 3, 2010 2:38 PM by Katie Durio
Press Release from Sammy Kershaw Campaign:
Sammy Kershaw, a Republican from Lafayette, announced today his candidacy for Lt. Governor of the state of Louisiana. Kershaw, known as one of country music’s greatest talents, has spent almost 25 years promoting the state of Louisiana throughout the world and is now running to provide leadership for the office responsible for a driving force of the Louisiana economy – tourism.
“This is the ‘Real People Campaign.’ I am running for the average, hardworking citizens of this state, who are tired of career politicians and political insiders using this seat, and their taxpayer dollars, as a place to bide their time until they can run for some other position. The primary responsibility of the Lt. Governor is to serve as Louisiana’s Ambassador. This job is about introducing the unique people, culture and heritage of this state. I have been in the promotion business my entire career and no one is more qualified to do this job than I am. It’s time the people have someone in this position who not only can do the job, but wants the job,” said Kershaw.
Kershaw has promised to sign a pledge to the people of Louisiana promising not to run or campaign for another office during his entire term if he is elected this fall. He is also challenging every other candidate in the race to sign the same pledge.
Sammy Kershaw is offering what he is calling “A Real Plan for the Real People of Louisiana,” which includes:
· Reintroduce Louisiana – promote all of Louisiana, establish Louisiana as the entertainment capital of the country and recruit new industry with the message that Louisiana is not just good for business, it is good for
· Reinvent the Sportsman’s Paradise – introduce a new generation to the natural assets of Louisiana
· Reestablish Arts Education - We need to foster creativity and appreciate that children exposed to the arts are more successful in whatever walk of life they choose. The more we allow children and adults to
embrace the cultural spirit of Louisiana, the more we build community belief, pride and national recognition.
· Reinvent the Spirit of Volunteerism Throughout the State - Community spirit must remain a cornerstone of this Louisiana if we are to continue to build and become a state concerned and capable of caring for its
· Respect Traditional Louisiana Values – Sammy Kershaw is pro-life, pro-marriage and pro-gun and proud of it
“I am running to be the voice for the entire state and attract visitors to be a part of events like the Red River Revel in Shreveport, the Zydeco Festival in Opelousas, the Voice of the Wetlands in Houma or the Balloon Championship in Baton Rouge as well as Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I also want to focus on building the entertainment industry into a permanent fixture for our economy and work to build education programs to train our workforce to fill the good paying jobs this business can provide.”
A lifelong conservative, Kershaw has worked to elect candidates to office that represent a voice for smaller government, lower taxes and the entrepreneurial spirit that has served as the backbone of Louisiana business. He actively campaigned alongside President Bush and Vice-President Cheney in 2000 and 2004 and with Senator McCain and Governor Palin in 2008. Kershaw is also an ardent supporter of 2nd Amendment rights and is a member of the NRA.
Born and raised in Kaplan, LA, Kershaw has not only entertained across the globe, but has also served as the President of his own small music business for almost 20 years. Always looking for ways to give back, he formed the Sammy Kershaw Foundation and has donated almost two million dollars to children’s charities in Louisiana.
Sammy Kershaw lives in Lafayette. He has 5 children and 6 grandchildren. For more information visit www.sammykershaw2010.com.