Posted: Feb 5, 2013 11:37 AM by Melissa Canone
Updated: Feb 5, 2013 11:38 AM
In St. Mary Parish Mardi Gras parades will begin to roll this weekend. In keeping with the family oriented tradition of Mardi Gras here in St. Mary, Sheriff Mark Hebert offers these tips to help you and your loved ones celebrate safely this carnival season.
- Do not bring glass containers or unnecessary items to the parade site. Also, be sure to pick up any trash before leaving your site.
- In some areas of the parish pets are not allowed on parade routes. Animals can be stressed by parade noise and crowds.
- Streets along routes will be blocked prior to and during parades. Arrive
early to avoid being caught in traffic. Do not cross barricades.
- Parade goers are prohibited from driving motor vehicles such as four wheelers and golf carts on public streets.
-Once at the parade site be sure to keep a close eye on children. Do not allow children to wander. It only takes seconds for small children to be out of sight and in danger.
-Be alert. Floats riders may hurl throws fast and furiously. Inattentiveness can lead to injury. Be sure to protect children from off-course throws.
- Keep clear of parade floats. Do not approach the sides of a float or step in front of a float. Float drivers cannot see when someone may be in danger of being struck. Catching that throw is not worth injury or even death.
-Always obey law enforcement officials instructions. Remember, they have you and your family's safety in mind.
- Whether you are a Krewe member or parade goer, please drink responsibly.
- Designate a sober driver.
- Report erratic driving.
The St. Mary Parish Sheriff's Office may be reached at 985-384-1622 and 337-828-1960. In the event of an emergency call 911.
Hebert says, "The St. Mary Parish Sheriff's Office will be working throughout the celebration to help ensure that it is a safe and happy Mardi Gras for all."
4 months ago