Sep 16, 2010 11:06 AM by Posted by Nichole Larkey
An earthquake relief task force led by
the Louisiana National Guard has wound up its mission in Haiti.
Sgt. Rebekah Malone says a closing ceremony was held Wednesday in Port au Prince, and the 72 guardsmen who have run the operation since May are expected back in Alexandria this weekend.
She says 3,500 troops - U.S. soldiers, sailors, airmen, reservists and National Guard troops, and members of the Belize Defence Force, spent two-week rotations in northern Haiti, about 500 at a time.
They worked with the Haitian government to run 10 medical sites, build three new school buildings and renovate two previously destroyed school buildings in the Artibonite Department.
The United Nations says that area got the largest number of people displaced by the Jan. 12 quake - about 50,000.