May 19, 2014 3:19 PM by Dave Fields
The recent efforts of Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG) to make Lafayette more hospitable to bicyclists has gained recognition from the League of American Bicyclists, naming the city-parish of Lafayette an Honorable Mention as a Bicycle Friendly Community.
The Bicycle Friendly Community? (BFC) program provides a roadmap to improve conditions for bicycling and guidance to help make a community's vision for a better, bikeable community a reality.
"We congratulate Bike Lafayette and thank them for their work to help Lafayette achieve this designation. Throughout the comprehensive planning process, we have heard a lot from community members who want Lafayette to be more bike-friendly, and recognitions like this one help build the reputation of cycling in our community," said City-Parish President Joey Durel.
Applicant communities are judged in five categories: engineering, education, encouragement, enforcement, and evaluation & planning. The application was filed by Monique Koll of BikeLafayette with the assistance of the Lafayette Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO).
The Honorable Mention designation is a direct result of programs and projects by Lafayette Consolidated Government, the Lafayette Metropolitan Planning Organization, and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette with support from Bike Lafayette and T.R.A.I.L. that include the following:
- Lafayette MPO Resolution No. R-002-2013, a goal of spending 10% of Urban Systems funding for bicycle and pedestrian improvements
- FestiVELO de Lafayette, Lafayette's first bicycle festival
- St. Mary Boulevard bicycle lanes
- Atakapa-Ishak Trail Phase II, a bicycle and pedestrian underpass providing access across Highway 90 and linking Beaver Park to Vermilionville and the Jean Lafitte Acadian Cultural Center
- Share the Road signage along popular rural bicycle routes in northeast Lafayette Parish
The League of American Bicyclists works says it has a mission to create a more Bicycle Friendly America (BFA) for everyone. For more information on BFA, click here.
Bike Lafayette also shares that vision for Lafayette and says it strives to accomplish that objective through advocacy. For more information on Bike Lafayette efforts, click here.
8 hours ago