Oct 28, 2013 2:45 PM by Letitia Walker
No word yet from the Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control following an alleged stabbing incident at Karma night club in Lafayette over the weekend.
Police say they received the call about 12:30 Saturday morning that two people were stabbed at Karma Nightclub. The victims drove themselves to University Medical Center in Lafayette where police were called to investigate the incident.
The victim tell us when someone tried pick-pocketing him at the club, he started fighting back. He didn't realize he was hurt until he went to the bathroom and saw he was covered in blood.
The owner of KARMA declined an on camera interview but says any alleged stabbings or shootings haven't happened inside the club. He went on to say, every weekend more than 1300 people pack in because they feel it's safe.
Just last week, KATC reported that Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control (ATC) Commissioner Troy Hebert announced an agreement was reached with Karma management to resolve numerous issues stemming from the club's operations.
Hebert ordered Karma's owners to establish terms to ensure that the nightclub will operate responsibly or face penalties up to revocation of their alcoholic beverage permit.
"ATC will continue to work with the Lafayette Police Department to monitor the situation to make certain that these terms are followed and the public's interest is protected," said Hebert.
The terms agreed upon are:
· Karma will implement a No Smoking policy on a four month trial basis.
· All persons are prohibited from using controlled dangerous substances, such as marijuana, in the Club and a NO Drug Use policy will be provided to all employees and security personnel.
· Drinks will be served in plastic cups in lieu of glass bottles.
· Video surveillance cameras will be posted both inside and outside the Club.
· A "No Re-Entry" policy will be implemented.
· ID scanners will be utilized by security personnel working the door and other reasonable measures will be taken to prevent underage access to alcohol.
· The music from this club will be monitored closely to prevent any violations of any sound ordinances.
· Karma will retain the services of 8 to 15 security personnel based on the number of patrons anticipated.
· Bar patrons will be encouraged to utilize the side door when exiting the building at closing.
· Patrons will be requested to exit and the Club will wind down the music at 1:45 a.m.
· Load capacity will be closely monitored by Karma's employees.
· Before installing any interior walls, approval will be obtained from the State Fire Marshall.
· Karma will take reasonable measures to pick up the trash from the exterior of the building during and after events.
· Karma will notify the Lafayette Police Department when major artists, who could potentially draw larger crowds, are scheduled to perform at the Club.