Dec 19, 2012 9:10 AM by Cecilia Stevenson
LACC has many wonderful animals available for adoption. This holiday season give a gift of love by adopting a pet!! But before you do, here's a few reminders that you should consider:
Adopting animals for gifts:
- Pets have personalities and feelings.
- If the person does not want the pet or does not understand the responsibility, pets end up at the shelter like all the others.
- Holidays have a more hectic pace.
* Time to get used to family routine and needs your time
* Future vet care
* Yard size, secure yard, plug all holes - the hotline can help with ideas for this
* Chew toys of course
* Indoor kennel or cage
* Potty training needs a regular schedule
* No valuables or garbage on floor, scratching post
* Allergies in family
LACC WILL HAVE GIFT CERTIFICATES THAT LIST THESE CARE COMMITMENTS.
GIVER AND RECEIVER MUST BOTH COME TO SHELTER WITH CERTIFICATE.
Remember, keep the family pets away from the food gatherings for 2 reasons:
-they don't need all the left overs and,
-they might have a tendency to be nervous around all the company and children.
We see an increase in bites during this period and of course they are accidental, but certainly disrupt the Holiday Cheer for all the wrong reasons. This can be easily prevented by simply doing the right things for your family pet.
For more information on adopting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.