Dec 7, 2010 11:59 PM by Jim Hummel
Owners of the tractor trailer that rear-ended a school bus last week in St. Landry Parish met with parents of the crash victims Tuesday night at Port Barre Elementary School. Representatives with J.B. Hunt dodged our cameras and our questions as they left the closed-door meeting, but St. Landry Parish Schools Superintendent Michael Nassif did give us some insight as to what went on inside.
"They issued a formal apology to all the parents, acknowledging that they were totally responsible for the accident," said Nassif.
J.B. Hunt representatives also presented data taken from the black box of the tractor trailer, which indicated the truck was going 45 miles per hour when it crashed into school bus.
"According to [his] report, the brakes were not applied," said Nassif.
All of the twenty or so parents at the meeting declined on-camera interviews, but a majority of them told KATC they were pleased with what the company had to say.
Louisiana State Police are still investigating the crash, and so far no charges have been filed. Five year old Karen Stoute passed away from her injuries Monday at a Lafayette hospital, 15 year old Colby Richard remains hospitalized in critical, but stable condition.
17 hours ago