News

Apr 29, 2010 11:57 AM by Melissa Canone

Oil Spill in Gulf of Mexico Has Become Far Worse

VENICE, La. (AP) - A massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico
that has become far worse than initially thought crept toward the
coast Thursday as government officials offered help from the
military to prevent a disaster that could destroy fragile
marshlands along the shore.
An executive for BP PLC, which operated the oil rig that
exploded and sank last week, said on NBC's "Today" that the
company would welcome help from the U.S. military.
"We'll take help from anyone," BP Chief Operating Officer Doug
Suttles said.
The Coast Guard has urged the company to formally request more
resources from the Defense Department.
But time may be running out: Oil from the spill had crept to
within 12 miles of the coast, and it could reach shore as soon as
Friday. A third leak was discovered, which government officials
said is spewing five times as much oil into the water as originally
estimated - about 5,000 barrels a day coming from the blown-out
well 40 miles offshore.
Suttles had initially disputed the government's estimate, and
that the company was unable to handle the operation to contain it.
But early Thursday, he acknowledged on "Today" that the leak
may be as bad as the government says. He said there was no way to
measure the flow at the seabed and estimates have to come from how
much oil makes it to the surface.
If the well cannot be closed, almost 100,000 barrels of oil, or
4.2 million gallons, could spill into the Gulf before crews can
drill a relief well to alleviate the pressure. By comparison, the
Exxon Valdez, the worst oil spill in U.S. history, leaked 11
million gallons into Alaska's Prince William Sound in 1989.
As dawn broke Thursday in the oil industry hub of Venice, about
75 miles from New Orleans and not far from the mouth of the
Mississippi River, crews loaded an orange oil boom aboard a supply
boat at Bud's Boat Launch. There, local officials expressed
frustration with the pace of the government's response and the
communication they were getting from the Coast Guard and BP
officials.
"We're not doing everything we can do," said Billy Nungesser,
president of Plaquemines Parish, which straddles the Mississippi
River at the tip of Louisiana.
"Give us the worst-case scenario. How far inland is this
supposed to go?" Nungesser said. He has suggested enlisting the
local fishing fleet to spread booms to halt the oil, which
threatens some of the nation's most fertile seafood grounds.
Louisiana has opened a special shrimp season along parts of the
coast so shrimpers can harvest the profitable white shrimp before
the spill has an effect.
Michael Nguyen, 58, was aboard his 82-foot shrimp boat, the
Night Star III, waiting for news Thursday morning on what has
happening with the slick.
"My boat is ready: New nets, did repairs. I'm ready to go," he
said.
He wasn't panicking, but was clearly worried.
"The oil come in everywhere, the shrimp die, the crabs die, the
fish die. What do I do? Stay home a long time?"
The spill has moved steadily toward the mouth of the Mississippi
River and the wetland areas east of it, home to hundreds of species
of wildlife and near some rich oyster grounds.
A federal class-action lawsuit was filed late Wednesday over the
oil spill on behalf of two commercial shrimpers from Louisiana, Acy
J. Cooper Jr. and Ronnie Louis Anderson.
The suit seeks at least $5 million in compensatory damages plus
an unspecified amount of punitive damages against Transocean, BP,
Halliburton Energy Services Inc. and Cameron International Corp.
Jim Klick, a lawyer for Cooper and Anderson, said the oil spill
already is disrupting the commercial shrimping industry.
"They should be preparing themselves for the upcoming shrimp
season," he said. "Now they're very much concerned that the whole
shrimp season is out."
Mike Brewer, 40, who lost his oil spill response company in the
devastation of Hurricane Katrina nearly five years ago, said the
area was accustomed to the occassional minor spill. But he feared
the scale of the escaping oil was beyond the capacity of existing
resources.
"You're pumping out a massive amount of oil. There is no way to
stop it," he said.
The rig Deepwater Horizon sank a week ago after exploding two
days earlier. Of its crew of 126, 11 are missing and presumed dead.
The rig was owned by Transocean Ltd. and operated by BP. Coast
Guard Rear Adm. Mary Landry said BP is responsible for bringing
resources to shut off the flow and clean up the spill.
"It has become clear after several unsuccessful attempts to
determine the cause" that agencies must supplement what's being
done by the company, she said.
A fleet of boats working under an oil industry consortium has
been using booms to corral and then skim oil from the surface.
Landry said a controlled test to burn the leaking oil was
successful late Wednesday afternoon. BP was to set more fires after
the test, but as night fell, there were no more burns. No details
have been given about when more were planned were given during the
news conference.
The decision to burn some of the oil came after crews operating
submersible robots failed to activate a shut-off device that would
halt the flow of oil on the sea bottom 5,000 feet below.
Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was
briefed Thursday morning on the issue, said his spokesman, Capt.
John Kirby. But Kirby said the Defense Department has received no
request for help, nor is it doing any detailed planning for any
mission on the oil spill.
President Barack Obama has directed officials to aggressively
confront the spill, but the cost of the cleanup will fall on BP,
spokesman Nick Shapiro said.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

More News

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular