May 24, 2013 2:19 PM

Officials still waiting on identity of hazardous substance at Broussard home

Authorities are still waiting for a forensic lab to identify the substance that sent four Broussard Police officers to the hospital Saturday evening.

"The Army National Guard took the substance from us to test it," said Capt. Kip Judice, Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office public information officer. "They eliminated all of the 'terror' chemicals, like ricin and anthrax, then sent it back to us. We then passed it on to the Acadiana Crime Lab to be tested."

LPSO deputies said crews were first called to the home on Heart D Farm Road Saturday as part of a drug investigation. According to deputies on the scene, the Broussard Police officers and at least one civilian were taken to the hospital after reacting from some sort of hazardous material inside the home.

Broussard Police Chief Brannon Decou confirmed Friday that his officers were back on duty.

"It's not ricin. It's not anthrax," said Judice Friday morning. "It's not any kind of chemical weapon substance. But beyond that, we are waiting for the test results."

Specialized crews and equipment, including members of the Lafayette Fire Department hazardous material unit, Army National Guard, Broussard Police, and Lafayette Sheriff's Office, were called in to find out what the hazardous material may be.

"I'm not sure what it is at this point," Judice said. "Until we get the test results, it could be any one of a number of things. It was found with a bunch of stamps so they thought it could be LSD, but it could be something else."

Previously, on May 5, Christopher Deeter, 25, and Andrew Cotten, 27, were arrested in a drug bust that occurred at the house they were renting in the 400 block of Heart D Farm Road. Police received a noise complaint, then said they found 97 individual bags of marijuana, drug paraphernalia and three other bags suspected to contain LSD during the investigation.


Related Stories


Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular