Posted: Feb 2, 2013 8:57 AM by UL Sports Information
Updated: Feb 2, 2013 9:44 AM
The 74th ranked Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team opened its home slate with a 7-0 sweep of the University of New Orleans on Friday afternoon at Cajun Courts.
"The best thing that came out of today is that everyone fought hard," head coach Mark Jeffrey said. "Our guys didn't want to give up any lines. It wasn't our best performance, but we fought hard. We have a long season in front of us. We will get better and better as the season progresses."
Junior Rick de Groot had a career day topping the 110th ranked singles player in the country, Rui Silva, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1 singles.
"That was an outstanding performance from Rick," Jeffrey added. "I am really proud of him. Beating a guy ranked nationally by that score shows that he has come a long way. Hopefully the other guys can follow his lead."
Louisiana (1-2) grabbed the doubles point after wins at No.1 and No.3 doubles. Jake Wynan and de Groot teamed up to defeat Hossam Meligy and Ricardo Campos 8-1 on court one.
The Johnson twins (Hunter and Yates) clinched the doubles point with an 8-2 victory over Guillermo Aylon and Chris Appelgren at No.3 doubles.
After de Groot made it 2-0 with his singles win, both Hunter Johnson and Carl Alberton picked up 6-2, 6-2 wins to clinch the match for the Ragin' Cajuns.
On court two, Jake Wynan gutted out a 6-4, 6-4 victory to pick up his second win of the season.
Both Jarred Wynan and Edgar Lopez managed to come from behind and win in three sets to complete the sweep of the Privateers.
The Cajuns are back in action tomorrow afternoon as they head to Beaumont, Texas to face Lamar in a 1 p.m. contest. Follow the team live on twitter @CajunMensTennis.
#74 Louisiana 7, New Orleans 0
1. Rick de Groot (UL) def. #110 Rui Silva (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jake Wynan (UL) def. Ricardo Campos (UNO) 6-4, 6-4
3. Jarred Wynan (UL) def. Abdelrahman Zaki (UNO) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Edgar Lopez (UL) def. Hossam Meligy (UNO) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
5. Hunter Johnson (UL) def. Guillermo Aylon (UNO) 6-2, 6-2
6. Carl Alberton (UL) def. Chris Appelgren (UNO) 6-2, 6-2
1. Jake Wynan/Rick de Groot (UL) def. Hossam Meligy/Ricardo Campos (UNO) 8-1
2. Jarred Wynan/Edgar Lopez (UL) vs. Rui Silva/Abdelrahman Zaki (UNO) 5-4, unfinished
3. Yates Johnson/Hunter Johnson (UL) def. Guillermo Aylon/Chris Appelgren (UNO) 8-2
New Orleans 1-2
Louisiana 1-2; National ranking #74
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,6,5,2,4)