Oct 2, 2012 1:41 PM by Elizabeth Hill
"I was saying my prayer on my knees, we didn't know the house was on fire."
Marguerite Riggs says she happened to go into the kitchen for a glass of water before bed and noticed a fire in the front bedroom of her house.
"We ran and got the hose and tried to put it out and then I got the phone and ran outside."
Still inside was Riggs' son Kenny, wheelchair bound because of an amputated leg. Her son-in-law tried to go back in the house to get Kenny, but it was too late.
"The smoke was so severe he couldn't get him out."
Despite his disability friends and neighbors describe Kenny as positive and uplifting.
"We lost a very good friend of mine, of Jennings Louisiana," says neighbor Michael McZeal.
"Always moving, he was in good spirits, all the time he was in good spirits," his mother remembers.
Riggs says she will certainly miss her son, but finds peace knowing he's in good hands.
"I know the Lord take care of him."
9 hours ago