Feb 12, 2014 10:59 PM by UL Sports Information
LAFAYETTE, La. - The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team swept Xavier (La.) 6-0 on a frigid Wednesday afternoon at Bourgeois Courts to remain undefeated at home this season.
The Cajuns (6-2) are now 3-0 at home, while the Gold Nuggets fall to 1-2 on the year.
"The guys competed really well in the cold conditions," head coach Mark Jeffrey said. "They really supported one another well in the win."
In singles competition, Louisiana dropped just one set in the six matches. Sophomore Jake Wynan notched a team-leading fifth win defeating Nikita Soifer 6-1, 6-2 on court two.
Jarred Wynan had a strong 6-0, 6-0 performance on court three against Tushar Mandlekar to pick up his fourth win of the year, while freshman Will Huyton also reached four wins on the season besting Jordan Harrell at the No.5 spot, 6-0, 6-3.
On court six, senior Elliot Minvielle claimed his first victory of the spring defeating Vincenzo Ciccone 6-1, 6-1.
Louisiana returns to action on Tuesday, Feb. 18 at 1 p.m. as the Cajuns play host to Texas A&M - Corpus Christi at Cajun Courts.
"We look forward now to Corpus Christi on Tuesday where we hope to compete and really get after it," Jeffrey added.
For more information on Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis follow the squad on twitter @CajunMensTennis.
Louisiana 6, Xavier (La.) 0
1. Rick de Groot (UL) def. Kyle Montrel (XULA) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Jake Wynan (UL) def. Nikita Soifer (XULA) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jarred Wynan (UL) def. Tushar Mandlekar (XULA) 6-0, 6-0
4. Carl Alberton (UL) def. Adam Albrecht (XULA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Will Huyton (UL) def. Jordan Harrell (XULA) 6-0, 6-3
6. Elliot Minvielle (UL) def. Vincenzo Ciccone (XULA) 6-1, 6-1
Xavier (La.) 1-2
LAFAYETTE, La. - The Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis team notched a 4-1 win over in-state opponent Xavier (La.) on a cold and windy Wednesday at Cajun Courts.
"I'm really proud of the girls effort today," head coach Greg Harkins said. "The conditions were very challenging, and the girls really played tough. It was nice to be back at home. Today was a taking care of business kind of day. The matches were close, and I thought the girls did a good job of finishing it out."
After falling behind 1-0 to the Gold Nuggets (1-2), Louisiana (3-2) picked up four straight points to clinch the match. Sophomore Melissa Burckhartt was first off for the Cajuns defeating local native Brion Flowers 6-0, 6-3 on court three.
Freshman Julie Cremers put the Ragin' Cajuns in front 2-1 with her 6-3, 6-1 win on court four, while Juliette Clement pulled the Cajuns within a point of clinching at the No.5 spot gutting out a 6-3, 7-5 decision against Simone-Alyse Ewell.
Nicole Breaux clinched the match on court two defeating Kourtney Howell 6-4, 6-3.
The Cajuns are back in action on Saturday at 2 p.m. as they travel to Jonesboro, Ark. To face conference foe Arkansas State. After the Red Wolves match, the Ragin' Cajuns heads home to host Texas A&M - Corpus Christi at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 18.
For more information on Ragin' Cajuns women's tennis follow the squad on twitter @CajunW10ns.
Louisiana 4, Xavier (La.) 1
1. Nour Abbes (XULA) def. Nelo Phiri (UL) retired
2. Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Kourtney Howell (XULA) 6-4, 6-3
3. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) def. Brion Flowers (XULA) 6-0, 6-3
4. Julie Cremers (UL) def. Amber Brown (XULA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Juliette Clement (UL) def. Simone-Alyse Ewell (XULA) 6-3, 7-5
6. Eleanor Bradshaw (UL) vs. Brandi Nelson (XULA) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
Xavier (La.) 1-2
40 minutes ago