News

Dec 16, 2009 6:50 PM by Sarah Rosario

Man Killed In House New Iberia Fire

An elderly man in New Iberia died after in a house fire Tuesday night. Officials said it's because of an accidental kitchen fire. It happened around 8pm.

His name is Francis Meaux. He was born and raised in New Iberia and has lived at 1525 Iberia Rd his whole life. He lived alone. Officials said the fire started when he started to prepare his dinner. "He had put a pot inside his microwave and for some reason it caught on fire, and he tried to hurry up and call 911," said Nephew David Bourgeois. He said, Meaux made the call to 911 from his cell phone. The fire spread through the kitchen pushing flames and much smoke through out the house. Firemen said the smoke is what killed him. "In most fires the fire doesn't kill the person, because his body wasn't burned. He died by being overcome by smoke inhalation. The smoke is what gets most people in the fires," said Training and Administrative Officer Martin Delaune. "The fire department found him and took him out. They worked on him for a little while here and then the ambulance took him to the hospital and they couldn't revive him. He was just out, gone for too long," said Bourgeois.

Meaux is described as a man who knew everyone. He was always happy and very religious. "He was well known in the community for going around saying hey you over there in French. So he was always happy to see everybody.

Funeral arraignments are being made in New Iberia at Evangeline funeral home. The visitation is planned for Monday evening. The funeral will take place at St. Peters Catholic Church on Tuesday at 2pm.

Sarah Rosario

srosario@katctv.com

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular