Posted: Oct 8, 2013 9:14 AM by PRESS RELEASE
More than 32 million children eat school lunch everyday across the USA, and to celebrate the healthy lunch choices in Lafayette Parish, schools will celebrate National School Lunch Week: October 14-18, 2013. The theme, "School Lunch Across the USA" will include a door decorating contest that promotes the benefits of healthy school lunches.
The federally-funded National School Lunch Program (NSLP) provides nutritionally balanced, healthy meals to students everyday. The program, which has been serving the nation's children for over 60 years, requires school meals to meet federal nutrition standards by:
• Ensuring students are offered both fruits and vegetables every day of the week;
• Substantially increasing offerings of whole grain-rich foods;
• Offering only fat-free or low-fat milk varieties;
• Limiting calories based on the grade of children being served; and
• Reducing amounts of saturated fat, trans fats and sodium.
The Lafayette Parish School System Child Nutrition Services is dedicated to the health and wellness of all their students in the fact that every meal served is nutritionally balanced and meets all of the requirements for the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Join the 5.7 billion students in America and each a school lunch.