Posted: May 15, 2011 5:46 PM by Chris Welty
Updated: May 16, 2011 9:15 AM
BATON ROUGE, La. - At the request of Governor Bobby Jindal, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has expanded federal assistance to the state and parishes responding to the Mississippi River flooding in Louisiana. Previously, Louisiana had been approved for only limited direct federal assistance for response efforts.
At this time, the parishes identified in the original FEMA declaration will be eligible for public assistance reimbursement from FEMA for" Category B Protective Measures," which are emergency response activities associated with the floods. The federal government will cover 75 percent of the costs, with the local government responsible for the other 25 percent. This declaration also includes emergency response efforts undertaken by state agencies, with the state bearing 25 percent of the cost burden.
The parishes on the original declaration are: Ascension, Assumption, Avoyelles, Catahoula, Concordia, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, Iberia, Iberville, LaSalle, Madison; Pointe Coupee, St. Landry, St. Martin; St. Charles, St. James; St. John the Baptist, St. Mary, Tensas, Terrebonne, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana.
So far, 33 parishes in Louisiana have declared states of emergency. Louisiana is in process of requesting the addition of the following parishes to the declaration: Caldwell, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Lafourche, Lincoln, Morehouse, Ouachita, Richland, Union and West Carroll.