Oct 26, 2009 10:13 AM by sleonard
Halloween will be celebrated on Saturday October 31, 2009, between the hours of 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm, within the City of Lafayette. The Lafayette Police Department has the following recommendations to assure a safe and enjoyable Halloween.
• Choose costumes that are marked flame retardant and add reflective tape or reflectors to darker colored costumes.
• All children should remain under the direct supervision of parents or guardians.
• Carry a flashlight or other illuminant device.
• Have children stay within their own familiar neighborhood and only visit homes they know.
• Adults should inspect all candy prior to the children indulging.
• Give and accept wrapped or packaged candy only.
• Have props such as magic wands and swords constructed out of cardboard rather than metal or wood. This will avoid unnecessary injuries.
• Drive vehicles cautiously in areas where children are trick or treating.
Finally, for those adults that will be attending parties for Halloween, please do not drink and drive. The Lafayette Police Department will be patrolling in the neighborhoods to assure a safe Halloween.