Posted: Oct 20, 2012 2:52 PM by katc
Updated: Oct 20, 2012 3:01 PM
The Lafayette Fire Department responded to a house fire early this morning. It happened about 7:30 this morning at 921 Voorhies Street. Firefighters say when they arrived, flames were coming from the front windows. The occupant of the house, Malinda Griffin, was outside the house and told firefighters the fire was in the bathroom. Firefighters entered the home and put out the blaze within 30 minutes. The house sustained heavy fire and smoke damage.
Griffin told firefighters she heard a bang or breaking sound coming from the bathroom. When she went to check it out, the bathroom was on fire. She escaped without any injuries.
Improperly discarded smoking material likely attributed to the fire that was determined to be accidental.