Posted: Nov 9, 2010 10:32 AM by Posted by Sharlee Barriere
Updated: Nov 9, 2010 10:34 AM
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A federal judge on Tuesday barred news
organizations from a conference over a company's claim that the government has not yet issued a single permit to allow offshore drilling even though a moratorium was lifted in October.
U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman said the hearing would be held in his chambers. He said news organizations had no right to attend.
The government is defending the time it is taking to approve deepwater offshore drilling permits that would have been suspended under the moratorium that was lifted nearly a month ago.
Ensco Offshore claims that since the ban was lifted Oct. 12, the government has not issued a single permit that would allow the resumption of any previously suspended drilling activities.
The government doesn't seem to dispute that allegation, saying in a late Monday filing that it must ensure applications meet regulations toughened after the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
The issue was to be discussed at Tuesday's hearing.
Since Oct. 12, the government has received one application for a permit to drill a new well and one to drill a sidetrack. It also received three revised applications for permits to drill. All are pending.
The moratorium was ordered in the wake of the April 20 explosion on the BP-leased Deepwater Horizon rig. The blast killed 11 workers and spawned a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico off the Louisiana coast.